Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By aw451
  • 1 Post By aw451
  • 3 Post By Peaky
  • 1 Post By Trebor

Opening bank account before relocating to Hk

Closed Thread

Opening bank account before relocating to Hk

Hello, I wanted to check if anyone knows whether possible to open a bank account (basic current account) in Hk whilst I’m in the Uk. Im moving in 3 weeks and wanted to have this set up in advance. I don’t have a HKID, British passport holder, recently signed a tenancy agreement for a flat in HK. Will this be possible or I’ll have to wait?

If I wait will not having a HK ID not bills etc to prove address be a hinderance?

thanks

Unless you have HSBC premier and have access to an RM, if there is such a thing it would be impossible to open an acct without and id card at 'basic' levels.

You signed a tenancy without seeing the flat and a landlord accepted your tenancy without a deposit? Or is it a corporate tenancy? The lease should act as your proof of address at any bank..

You can get an ID card the day you arrive. (I think.. if you queue up early enough)...

With just three weeks it is likely too late to do an overseas account opening with HSBC. They send all of the paperwork to HK by mail and it takes a few weeks to process and return the cards.

Your best bet is to walk into the first HSBC branch you encounter in Hong Kong with your passport and open the account there and then. Remember to bring cash for the first week or so. Once you're set up with HSBC your banking needs are pretty much sorted.

LeyLon and ndt like this.

Thanks for the reply, I can get a HKID on arrival?! I thought this was only for perm residents. I only hold a British passport.

You don't need HKID to open a basic bank account

LeyLon likes this.

While it isnt essential, you can open an account from abroad using the HSBC HK app and a UK passport. This is a fairly recent development and isn't only a premier service.

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/internationa...-in-hong-kong/

Slightly worried you've signed a lease without seeing the flat... did someone help you to view it in person at least?

aw451, ndt and shri like this.

I opened an account with a passport the day I arrived. Just bring enough money to tide you over for a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by LeyLon:
    Thanks for the reply, I can get a HKID on arrival?! I thought this was only for perm residents. I only hold a British passport.
    Like DeletedUser says, anyone here for a period of 6 months or more is required to apply for a HKID card. You will be eligible to apply for a permanent HKID card upon completion of 7 years of residence here.
    LeyLon likes this.

Hk banking is very hostile to anybody not physically located in hk. A lot of stuff still has to be done in branch only. Even the app I use has a pop up staying "this is for users located in Hong Kong only" or when I try to change some information online says "you are not located in Hong Kong. Please update the information when you are back in Hong Kong". Just weird! I mean what is that?

With DBS when I went to open an account I asked about keeping the account when I leave hk. They said I must hand then the crs form with tax ID of new country. I said I won't have or know the tax id of new country yet before I leave hk. They said "well when you know it, you must give us the form". And they only take it in branch only. So I have to move to country x, get and establish a tax id, then physically fly back to Hong Kong soon after in order to hand in a form? "Yes. Branch only." I thought we were in the 21st century here.

Also hang seng blocked my credit card because I used a foreign website denominated in euro, which is apparently reason enough to suspend a card? To sort it all out they demanded I physically go to the branch with my hkid to prove my identity. Thankfully I was in hk at the time. I said "what if this happened if I was travelling or outside hk? Their response? "Need to go to the branch". So if I was in say Italy, and they blocked my card I would need to physically fly back to Hong Kong in person with my hkid in order to unblock my card.... But how could I even book the ticket back when my credit card was blocked? In other words, screwed!!

Thanks for the info, yes I have had someone view several places for me in person before choosing the one I signed the lease on.