Like Tree9Likes

SCB introducing 2 way SMS verification

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SCB introducing 2 way SMS verification

If you receive a Two-Way SMS from us, remember to examine all transaction details including the merchant name, transaction amount, currency, transaction date, etc.

Upon verification, please respond to our Two-Way SMS immediately to safeguard your credit card account. Reply “1” if you made the transaction; reply “2” if you did not.The SMS will also inform you of our actions on the relevant transaction – such as approving or declining the transaction AND/OR blocking your account.

You can also temporarily block your credit card anytime via Online Banking / SC Mobile App if necessary.

Going to be a bit sh!t if you receive this abroad and have to pay for international roaming SMS. Also will have to pay for local SMS (noting that some local providers are also getting rid of free intra network SMS as well).

What century is it ?

I just open an app and authorize the transaction

I've just had this happen tome while overseas. Yes, a pain. And the sms takes a few minutes to arrive. Why they cannot have authorization though the app I don't know- I already need to use the app to authorise when I access online banking though a browser. That works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    If you receive a Two-Way SMS from us, remember to examine all transaction details including the merchant name, transaction amount, currency, transaction date, etc.

Upon verification, please respond to our Two-Way SMS immediately to safeguard your credit card account. Reply “1” if you made the transaction; reply “2” if you did not.The SMS will also inform you of our actions on the relevant transaction – such as approving or declining the transaction AND/OR blocking your account.

You can also temporarily block your credit card anytime via Online Banking / SC Mobile App if necessary.

Going to be a bit sh!t if you receive this abroad and have to pay for international roaming SMS. Also will have to pay for local SMS (noting that some local providers are also getting rid of free intra network SMS as well).
    Haven't they been doing this since forever? Everytime I use my SCB card in a new country I get an SMS

Yes, but the point is you have to reply to it every time apparently.

As someone who is leaving hk, I'm seriously considering closing my standard charteed account. Has been poor customer service in general, they still insist on posting me info, even after I selected online only. And now we need to pay roaming SMS rates from abroad every time we use a cc? All in all seems very unfriendly to the person outside hk.
    This isn't a standard chartered issue, more a standard charteted hk issue. I have a SC sg account as well and the app, services, are light years ahead of SC hk.

I live overseas and have SCB HK account and no problem using it until now. I mean it uses 2FA mainly through the app not SMS, for example to login my account on PC need my phone and app pops up with a button to "approve". The only time I need SMS is if I lose phone or get a new one, or forget my password and need to reset etc, then need to receive an SMS to set everything up again.

This two way SMS verification for every transaction sounds very strange and old to me. SCB used to do this 10 years ago. I mean if you sit in a restaurant, paid the bill by credit card, sometimes an SMS would pop up "Please reply 1 if you made this transaction" and sometimes I would reply, sometimes I would just ignore the SMS, but even if I ignored the waiter never came back to me and said "Sorry your card is declined". So then I thought whats the point of this SMS crap. As far as I know, this was phased out years ago because is fundamentally flawed. Not sure why they would be bringing it back now.

pin and Morrison like this.

The SMS thing is an HKMA requirement. You can imagine how much all the tens of millions of SMS cost the banks and now much they want to move to push notifications in the app.

Meanwhile the tightening of security, which I suspect we will see from more banks, is due to this one (basically putting more liability to them and less to customers unless they are truly and deeply negligent). If only there were some other solution invented involving typing in some sort of number into a pad at the checkout.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...T16jRBDfKQgmgR

shri likes this.

How will this work if you use different SIM cards/numbers when travelling?

Are we sure we are discussing the right issue or is it just random generic security related alert message?

https://www.sc.com/my/important-info...nking-service/

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor:
    How will this work if you use different SIM cards/numbers when travelling?
    Dual sim phone.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast