Withdrawing Large Sum of $$ from US Bank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Withdrawing Large Sum of $$ from US Bank

Hi all,

So I just got an apartment (WOOT!) and need to pay my deposit and first month's rent. Problem is I bank with Chase which obviously has no branches here. Any idea how I can withdraw a large sum from a US bank? Can I get a certified check at any bank and give them my debit card to pay for the transaction?

>> Any idea how I can withdraw a large sum from a US bank?

Transfer to your local account, from the US bank? Takes 2 or 3 days.

I am opening an account today at HSBC but need the cash or check by Weds. Back to the drawing board I guess. Perhaps I can just stand at an atm and take out 1000 at a time lol

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Can you ask your employer draw up a cheque and take it out of your salary?

Or use your US atm card, pay the overseas transaction fees and withdraw the maximum limits between now and Wed?

Quote Originally Posted by shri
    Or use your US atm card, pay the overseas transaction fees and withdraw the maximum limits between now and Wed?
    I need to take out nearly 6 thousand USD. I think ATMs are 500/24 hour period.

I'm going to see if the post office here does money orders or if a local bank can give me a certified check and deduct it from my ATM card.

Borrow from a friend

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Borrow from a friend
    I'll lend it - standard handling fee applies

Quote Originally Posted by htothek
    I need to take out nearly 6 thousand USD. I think ATMs are 500/24 hour period.
    Don't know where you got that random dollar limit from. HK ATMs allow you to take out between 4000-6000HKD per transaction (NOT per day). Your bank will have a separate limit for the amount you can withdraw from an ATM on any given day (typically for fraud protection purposes). If you call Chase, they should be able to waive this and permit you to withdraw US$6000 over the course of 1-2 days. Used this method to pay for a wedding dress here a couple years ago when I lost my wallet but had a US ATM laying around (but the bank wasn't Chase).

Quote Originally Posted by limepickle
    I'll lend it - standard handling fee applies
    I will buy you a burger at Triple O's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast