International/Off Shore Banking...

International/Off Shore Banking...

Apart from HSBC, are there any other international banks that operate in HK?

HSBC takes too long to open an account. When I went HK last year, I had problesm with my Barclays visa card, so I am looking to join another bank.

Thanks in advance

Lloyds TSB runs a top notch operation.

I'm assuming that you're looking for something more than a "checking account with an ATM card".

HSBC should not take too long (an hour or so at the most) if you've brought the required documentation.

When I opened my HSBC account I walked out of the bank with a functioning ATM card within 20 minutes...

Thanks knowitall

I will check out Lloyds TSB and see what they have for HK.

I went into a branch of HSBC to open an account...was told there was a waiting of three weeks for an appointment, but I could alternatively call so-so number, open an account over the phone and just bring in the right documents. I thought great nice and easy.

I called the number, was told that it would take 5 weeks to open an off shore account with HSBC and that was if I were already a member.

Tried Bank of China...was told an UK account can only be used in UK.

Have applied to Citi Bank online, but the adviser on the phone didn't give me much confidence.

I am going to talk to Barclays and see what the deal with not being able to use my Visa card in HK, that's just silly.

Thanks once again.

???

HSBC has something called "Power Vantage" account which should let you deal with the ones you have in the UK ...

Yeah.. best options for having an account in Hong Kong -- unless you have some fairly exotic requirements are a Premier or PowerVantage acct.

http://www.offshore.hsbc.com/hsbc/main/bank-accounts

Should not take more than an hour to get in and out if you have the right documentation. I know someone who did this a few weeks ago on a quick in and out of Hong Kong trip.