credit card application

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by OZTOHK
    T I just refuse to put in 1m into a premier account and do nothing with it(not good at investment etc) except for the bank to use it and profit from it.
    This is not a great reason, considering there are heaps and heaps of products that you can put the money into and they still count towards your 1m, including bank accounts, term deposits, foreign currency accounts, shares, funds, gold, other managed investments etc etc etc.

Other than property, I cannot think of a single normal investment vehicle I cannot use for my mil.....

i must have been at the bank on employee bonus day...i walked in in shorts and sandals, with my basic Powervantage account (which I'd had for about 6 months), filled out the papers and had a card in a few weeks....good credit from back home but who knows if they cared enough to check...never a problem for me...

Quote Originally Posted by timklip
    (which I'd had for about 6 months)
    That's the key point. OP wants to open one as soon as they arrive...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    This is not a great reason, considering there are heaps and heaps of products that you can put the money into and they still count towards your 1m, including bank accounts, term deposits, foreign currency accounts, shares, funds, gold, other managed investments etc etc etc.

Other than property, I cannot think of a single normal investment vehicle I cannot use for my mil.....
    Forgot to provide more info. We were very new to hk back then and I needed a hk bank account to have my Amex card transferred here. Hubby is the main breadwinner and he's with BOC. Unfortunately we didn't and still don't have any term deposits, FC accounts etc etc...

This is exactly what I thought why someone could get a cc straight away with HSBC---you must have a sufficient level of assets/income to show/offer them.
    Well, why would anyone give out a CC if there is no such proof and the issuer needs to fear that you can't pay your bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon
    If they accept the US bank statements is something you should ask HSBC, just walk into the next branch and talk to them.
    (I applied for a HSBC CC and a copy of my employment contract was sufficient proof for them.)
    You are missing the point here. I think the OP was asking about how he could get a cc ASAP but under ordinary circumstances. Of course he is also welcomed to post a question in this friendly forum and at the very minimum he could save a trip to the bank. I found your comments very condescending and not the least helpful. If you are trying to tell all the readers here that because your employment contract showed a big $$,$$$,$$$ that you got a cc from them with no hassle whatsoever, I think we all got the message loud and clear.

Ha ha - well clearly someone's got a $$ chip on their shoulder. To the guy who redblobbed me with the comment "we are all so interested in your $1m" - there is not a great deal of point in telling someone that you can get a credit card straight away with Premier without also noting the minimum funding requirement since this may well be a barrier too!

You are missing the point here. I think the OP was asking about how he could get a cc ASAP but under ordinary circumstances.
    Isn't it ordanary to provide some proof of income or funds when applying for a CC?

Of course he is also welcomed to post a question in this friendly forum and at the very minimum he could save a trip to the bank. I found your comments very condescending and not the least helpful.
    Sure he is welcome and I wasn't condescending (at least not intentionally), I was just suggesting that if you walk into the branch it will be easier to get the right answers and discuss alternative options face to face, and possibly settle the problems on the spot. So my experience at least.

If you are trying to tell all the readers here that because your employment contract showed a big $$,$$$,$$$ that you got a cc from them with no hassle whatsoever, I think we all got the message loud and clear.
    Bullshit, I merely pointed out that proof of income is an option to providing proof of assets or opening a Premier account that requires 1 mil upfront (which is big $$).
    I didn't mention any figures and AFAIK you don't need a huge income unless you want a Gold or Platinum card.

Can't edit my post anymore, small correction in italic letters:

... I merely pointed out that proof of income is an alternative to providing ...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    I signed up for HSBC Premier on arrival and got a credit card as soon as I funded my account (HKD1mil). My husband signed up for something lower down the scale of accounts and spent the first year running round in circles trying to get an credit card - to no avail. He eventually capitulated and joined Premier too. Both of us have been HSBC customers in the UK for 20+ years, had mortgages with them, still have our UK accounts etc etc. Didn't appear to matter a jot.
    Similar issue. Had HSBC account in Canada for 10 years AND an account in HK. Own properties here and there. On our return here struggled to get a card, had to make many phone calls, always call back so and so, or we'll call you back... seems our HSBC Canada banking history (and accounts) weren't relevant. Finally gave up and just went to Bank of East Asia where I was made welcome.
    So much for he "the world's local bank".
    More like the " the world bank with country bumpkin service"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast