credit card application

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

credit card application

I just arrived in HK two weeks ago, and I want to get a credit card asap because it makes life more convenient (signing up an IDD monthly plan etc). However, almost all applications require a bank monthly statement with three months' salaries, or latest month payroll slip, or other asset proof. I wonder if it is ok to use a printed electronic monthly statement issued by US banks as the asset proof. I know they don't accept it as the address proof when I tried to open a bank account. I do have an HSBC(HK) account. Is it easier to apply at one of their branches?

Thanks

If they accept the US bank statements is something you should ask HSBC, just walk into the next branch and talk to them.
    (I applied for a HSBC CC and a copy of my employment contract was sufficient proof for them.)

Do you have an Amex from back home? They've generally been the best when it comes to accepting cross border credit card statements.

If you have Amex from back home, just contact Amex HK and they will transfer it for you very easily. You only need to fill in a form with your address in hk and contact details, provide a copy of your hkid card and a copy of your Amex card from home, plus a bank account number in hk. No income proof is required by any means.

We also had a hard time applying for a visa/master card, and only recently got the Octopus Platinum card from Citi Bank. We were asked to not only provide three months of payslips but also three months of bank statements as asset proof. We just didn't want to bother providing anything from back home.

Thank you all. You are very helpful. I will transfer my amex first, then apply for cc from local banks.

Has anyone done the AMEX global transfer program? I will be going to HK in August for minimum of 5 months to finish my undergrad, but hopefully will stay longer. I have the AMEX Air Miles car back home in Canada, although rarely used due to my Visa offering better benefits. If I transfer my AMEX to HK, does HK Amex offer any free cards? My current Air Miles has no yearly fee and offers 1 air mile for every $20 spent. The problem is, I have been an Air Miles collector since 1996 yet I don't even have enough points for a blender .

So basically, I just want to get a CC when in HK and AMEX seems like the best choice due to me not having credit in HK. But I want to find a suitable card for me, not sure which one though. Or will AMEX handle all that?

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL
    Has anyone done the AMEX global transfer program? I will be going to HK in August for minimum of 5 months to finish my undergrad, but hopefully will stay longer. I have the AMEX Air Miles car back home in Canada, although rarely used due to my Visa offering better benefits. If I transfer my AMEX to HK, does HK Amex offer any free cards? My current Air Miles has no yearly fee and offers 1 air mile for every $20 spent. The problem is, I have been an Air Miles collector since 1996 yet I don't even have enough points for a blender .

So basically, I just want to get a CC when in HK and AMEX seems like the best choice due to me not having credit in HK. But I want to find a suitable card for me, not sure which one though. Or will AMEX handle all that?
    When I transfered my AMEX from New Zealand to HK they transferred all the points for me too - it's a different programme here and a different conversation rate, but was better than leaving them in NZ when I was not coming back. It was very easy, they did it over the phone.

I cannot comment on your other questions as I use Plat Amex (I like the 'free' travel insurance since my stingy company does not provide any and I travel frequently!).

when i arrived to hk, i also signed up with hsbc (like the majority of expats here!)

i got a credit card on arrival with hsbc.

maybe ask hsbc if they will give you a credit card.

btw i was hsbc customer back in the uk, and got "referred" to hong kong so that may have made a difference.

I signed up for HSBC Premier on arrival and got a credit card as soon as I funded my account (HKD1mil). My husband signed up for something lower down the scale of accounts and spent the first year running round in circles trying to get an credit card - to no avail. He eventually capitulated and joined Premier too. Both of us have been HSBC customers in the UK for 20+ years, had mortgages with them, still have our UK accounts etc etc. Didn't appear to matter a jot.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    I signed up for HSBC Premier on arrival and got a credit card as soon as I funded my account (HKD1mil). My husband signed up for something lower down the scale of accounts and spent the first year running round in circles trying to get an credit card - to no avail. He eventually capitulated and joined Premier too. Both of us have been HSBC customers in the UK for 20+ years, had mortgages with them, still have our UK accounts etc etc. Didn't appear to matter a jot.
    This is exactly what I thought why someone could get a cc straight away with HSBC---you must have a sufficient level of assets/income to show/offer them. I just refuse to put in 1m into a premier account and do nothing with it(not good at investment etc) except for the bank to use it and profit from it. I had a very hard time opening a bank account with hsbc too. After multiple rejections from different branches, I walked into another branch well-dressed pretending to be a millionaire, inquiring about their Premier product. That immediately caught their attention. After they OKed all my documentations, I said it might take a few months for me to get the 1m ready, so I'd like to open a Smartadvantage account first(min. balance 10k hkd a month). Then it gave me a lot of pleasure to watch the manager's face streched from a smiling O shape to a rectangle. By then it's too late for them to decline my application based on the ground of 'not sufficient documentation to prove my address etc...' LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast