Where can I get a credit card?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I get a credit card?

I have just been rejected for my first ever credit card (HSBC), I have been working for the same company for 2 years - they just renewed my contract, as of the end of March I will have HK$60,000 in my savings account, I earn between $20,000 - $35,000 a month & I have no debt!!

I don't actually want credit, i'm not exactly an frequent shopper maybe twice a year! I don't even agree with the idea of credit, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to book hotels, flights & hire cars without a credit card. All I want to do is access my own money to book these things.

Years ago in the UK I had a Debit card that worked like a C/C but just deducted the money from your account. They don't have anything like that here! I'm also getting sick of going to the cinema to buy tkts to find they have sold out - what a luxury to be able to book online!!

Does anyone know which banks are more lenient or willing to give a credit card?

which bank do u use to get paid in, that one should be the easiest, if that was HSBC then there must be some problem, did you forget to send some documents.

Try any bank or banks that have waived the yearly membership fees, get some brochures and see which ones have good gifts as well heehee.

The Chinese ones are easier to get cards eg. Bank of China, Citi Ka Wah etc.

My HSBC branch completed my credit card application the day I opened my new savings account (for paycheques to get deposited into). The bank rep told me that after 3 months of pay deposits, they would automatically submit the CC app and there shouldn't be any problem.

Sure enough, after working in HK for 3 months and having a bank account for 3 months, I was mailed my HSBC Visa.

Maybe you should go back to the bank and kindly ask why you were rejected.

Just in case, HSBC has a secured CC that will require you to make a 50K HKD fix deposit (one year term). But as someone said just go to the bank where your salary is paid at and you should be able to get it without problem

My salary is paid into HSBC. LOL! I'm gonna talk to them and also try some other banks.

Don't bother with HSBC. Take a look at BEA / Citibank for starters.

Whats wrong with HSBC? I use the card and it seems to have a lot of offers; the rewards redemption is not bad either. Never had a BEA card.... anything specific about it that is appealing?

Nothing wrong with it, other than seemingly random rejections if you read these forums.

If you have the time to waste with them, fine ... if you don't it just easier to get approved by BEA / Citi based on three months salary and no negative credit.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Nothing wrong with it, other than seemingly random rejections if you read these forums.

If you have the time to waste with them, fine ... if you don't it just easier to get approved by BEA / Citi based on three months salary and no negative credit.
    I second that. Absolutely true from my experience.

Citibank? Never again.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast