Serious insurance question

Closed Thread

Serious insurance question

Hi all,

I have quite a serious question. For most expats living overseas, if the worst thing should happen and you were to die in Hong Kong, most of us would obviously want to be sent home to wherever that is. The cost of that is enormous and it's not a burden you would want to give to your loved ones.

Any recommended insurance schemes in Hong Kong that can take care of this concern?

Thank you.

I question your basic assumption - what on earth is the point of shipping a lot of rotting flesh around the world?

But the place to ask for insurance is Kwiksure - Online Insurance Supermarket

As with all insurance, on average you will pay in more than you get back.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I question your basic assumption - what on earth is the point of shipping a lot of rotting flesh around the world?
    Death is not about the dead. It's about helping the living move on. And giving that rotting flesh a good send-off is helpful to some.

As long as you are cremated first in Hong Kong, then the cost is not that high.

See FEHD - adult cremation starts at HK$1220. Then you send the ashes back to the country you want to be scattered or buried in - can be done through HK Post.

I'd agree that it wouldn't be something that loved ones might one to do, but something you could trust a friend or executor to handle.

PDLM: Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

I get your point, but as MovingIn07 said, it's about making it easier for your loved ones. I'm sure that if something should happen to me here, my family would want me back in one piece. I know I would feel that way if I had a son on the other side of the planet.

Worries me to think that some over inquisitive Customs fascist may open the envelope suspecting drugs or poison and getting a noseful of grandma!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Er, you can't (or shouldn't) just mail ashes - you need permission to do it: Food and Environmental Hygiene Department

(FEHD for ashes, ImmD for bodies)

you guys are hilarous. mailing ashes using hk post...haha. if you're that cheap, what is the point of repatrionizing the body? why don't you just scrap out some ashes from your bbq pit and pretend it to be grandma.

#1 reason people buy life insurance is to deal with stuff like this. if the person of concern is within insurable age, then there are tons of options. from reading your post, sounds like you just want to buy the cheapest insurance possible to cover repatronizing cost. i might be wrong with my assumptions, pm me if you want to find the right insurance policy or have any legal questions.