Closing HSBC account from abroad? MPF?

Closed Thread

Closing HSBC account from abroad? MPF?

Has anyone having left Hong Kong closed an account from overseas? we have SO much trouble getting straight answers from them on the phone, and just want to know if it's going to be a major pain in the butt or if it something fairly simple. We left HK in Jan. and are not planning on returning at this time.

Also, any info on how to close our MPF?

Sorry, I did look through old threads, we are just frustrated! We spent $100s (USD) on fedex fees sending this that and the other form (each was the "only form we'd need") trying to get our transfer limits changed only to end up having to wire money from our US account to HK to pay a bill for our goods shipment when we have a large sum in HSBC...but that's really unrelated...sorry for the rant.

"Closing your MPF" can be done by notifying your last employer or directly notifying the MPFA in writing (not email or fax). The MPFA website has a form you can download and complete should you wish to "cash in" your contributions to-date. There are conditions attached to taking this course of action.

For MPF (since I'm not as lazy as Discobay ) the stuff you need is here: MPFA Forms

Read the guidelines before filling in the forms.

I remember that when I opened my account here, I was telling the guy that I was about to call my bank in France so they close my account.

He told me that in HK it was not possible to close an account by phone or letter, you have to come in person.

I hope it's different for MPF