American Express Platinum

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

American Express Platinum

I'm considering getting an Amex Platinum as I see a lot of restaurants giving out 12% offs during the week. BTW, do you get complimentary access into airport lounges (ie: I pay nothing to access the place entirely), or as an Amex Platinum card holder, I'm only priviledged enough to enter the airport lounges, but I still have to pay the door fee?

The AMEX Platinum card gives you access to the Plaza Lounge with no additional fees at the door.

The Cathay Pacific AMEX Platinum card gives you access to both the Plaza Lounge and Cathay's own Marco Polo Club Business Lounges without having to pay additional fees at the door.

Plaza serves a light buffet but no alcoholic drinks while Cathay's serve light snacks such as noodles, soup, dimsum, sandwiches and fruits. Aside from the usual soda and juices, at the Cathay lounge alcoholic drinks (wine, beer and spirits) are complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by onnightshift:

The Cathay Pacific AMEX Platinum card gives you access to both the Plaza Lounge and Cathay's own Marco Polo Club Business Lounges without having to pay additional fees at the door.
    Nope, this part is not true, you will not have access to any CX lounge with the Amex. The plaza lounges, in HKIA yes.
    Also, if you qualify for the Elite card version, you will get a Priority Pass, which will give you access to their vast network of contracted lounges worldwide, without the need to pay anything.

But be aware, after the first year the card will have an annual fee, if you are not Marco Polo CLub Silver member or spend more than 150,000 HKD with the card.
    See here for the full list of benefits:
    American Express - Hong Kong - The American Express? Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card

To the OP:
    If you mean the American Express Platinum Credit Card, the benefits are completely different. I gave up the card, as their annual fee was too high. Even I spent more than 200K p.a., they still wanted to charge me. Too little benefit for me.

Also, there is tons of promotions with all kinds of Credit Cards in HKG, I see a lot of HSBC one around.

Quote Originally Posted by caipiroska:
    Nope, this part is not true, you will not have access to any CX lounge with the Amex. The plaza lounges, in HKIA yes.
    Thanks for the correction, Cipiroska. Forgot the bit that a Green Tier membership doesn't have lounge access.

Quote Originally Posted by caipiroska:
    Also, if you qualify for the Elite card version, you will get a Priority Pass, which will give you access to their vast network of contracted lounges worldwide, without the need to pay anything.

But be aware, after the first year the card will have an annual fee, if you are not Marco Polo CLub Silver member or spend more than 150,000 HKD with the card.
    See here for the full list of benefits:
    American Express - Hong Kong - The American Express? Cathay Pacific Elite Credit Card

To the OP:
    If you mean the American Express Platinum Credit Card, the benefits are completely different. I gave up the card, as their annual fee was too high. Even I spent more than 200K p.a., they still wanted to charge me. Too little benefit for me.

Also, there is tons of promotions with all kinds of Credit Cards in HKG, I see a lot of HSBC one around.
    Yes, I'm talking about the Platinum Charge Card. I'm in Canada still, and it's $399 annually. Since I can actually apply for the card in Canada while it's by invitation only in HK, I was think that I could get the card here in Canada here first, then transfer it over to HK when I move back in 2 years or so. I travel quite a bit so the free lounge access through Plaza will be a plus for me. Also, when I fly to Hong Kong I can get a complimentary ticket in business class which pretty much pays for the card itself, albeit I understand I'll have to pay for the more expensive business fare.

Buy 1 get 1 free Business Class??

Does anyone know about the buy one get one free business class seat offer/benefit? The website is so unclear...

The Platinum Charge Card give you access to the Plaza lounge in HK and a Priority Pass card which gives access to many other lounges around the world. It's handy, but the big drawback (from my perspective) is that it's for YOU only, so if you travel with a partner then it's useless. Since the only time I use it is when flying cheapo holiday flights with my husband (rather than using a One World or Star Alliance carrier where I have lounge access anyway), it's pretty annoying.

Other benefits of the Charge Card (HONG KONG VERSION) are:
    Free ride on the airport express if you spend 6000k on a flight with one of their preferred travel agents, or a free limo if you spend over (I think) 25k;
    Free annual worldwide travel insurance (this is the main benefit I get the card for, it's pretty decent insurance);
    Various 2 for 1 flight promotions - not worth the paper they are printed on imho, you have to pay "full fare" for the biz class ticket, and usually there are plenty of discount biz class fares available for half the full fare cost anyway!
    Various discounts in restaurants etc - but only the expensive restaurants so this is only useful if you eat at fancy places;
    Various benefits in hotels - again - very hard to make this benefit work, you usually have to pay some extortionate rate at the hotel when just booking direct with them on the internet is a fraction of the cost!

They also do various other promotions - usually only at the most expensive stores/hotels or restaurants - which annoys me. Just because I have a decent salary and travel alot, does not mean I want to waste my money in designer stores or over-priced restaurants! But if you do, then you can get some nice benefits here.

Is it possible to get the American Express Cathay Pacific Elite annual fee easily waved?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    Is it possible to get the American Express Cathay Pacific Elite annual fee easily waved?

Yes. I have had the Platinum CX Amex card for a number of years and I recall they renew the AMEX card each year without any fees being charged and the letter says its because I am a Diamond card member. It may well be that you get it renewed without fees for other statuses too.

Amex platinum also get's you some good happy hour deals, some good restaurant discounts, 2 for 1 movie tickets on Fridays (15% off other days).
    Possibly misleading, but I'll post due to the comment in the above post: I recently booked a holiday through CX Holidays and paid with my Amex Platinum, cost was around 10k (I can't remember exactly), CX sent me a coupon for a free "limo" (it was a nice Mercedes) ride to the airport.. There was no explanatory note, just the coupon, so I don't know if this was because of the Amex Platinum or what... (I am only Green Marco Polo) .. Great service, terrible marketing!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast