Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pin

Best credit card for Asia Miles

Closed Thread

Best credit card for Asia Miles

Rambling thoughts about nothing really: Credit card spending and Asia Miles in Hong Kong
    altralazer likes this.

thanks for the link

Thanks Pin, really helpful link

Still the same in 2011?

Pin,

do you have any experiences which credit cards are the best now? I looked at the StandardChartered Amex (since I'll have quite a few overseas travel expenses), but according to what I could find it's a) 15 points per mile now and b) a 300HK$ fee per transaction, which makes the whole thing a lot less attractive.

There's a hugely detailed ongoing discussion on this on Flyertalk which I take to be pretty definitive.
    Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK) - FlyerTalk Forums
    (Ignore the thread title - it's a permanently ongoing discussion)

I like Citibank Premier Miles they give 1 mile for $4 spend overseas and 1 mile for $8 spend in HK. Also miles never expire. To top it all - miles can be taken to 60 airlines
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Mukesh2011:
    I like Citibank Premier Miles they give 1 mile for $4 spend overseas and 1 mile for $8 spend in HK. Also miles never expire. To top it all - miles can be taken to 60 airlines
    Posted via Mobile Device
    I hope you realise that every time you spend overseas with a HK issued credit card, they throw on an extra 2% service charge. Its hidden in the conversion back to HK$, so you dont really see or notice it. But check the fine print of your contract and it is there.

You are much better off not using your CC overseas and withdrawing cash from the ATM in the old fashioned way.

The amount varies by credit card, and cash from ATMs also incurs foreign exchange and service charges. The thing that is almost always a complete rip-off is accepting the currency conversion being done by the merchant - you should never accept credit card bills in HK$ outside HK: insist that the bill is presented in the local currency.

I agree with PDLM - paying in HK$ overseas is a rip off.

However, I find that carrying cash and being worried about it's loss or regularly changing from different money changers who give very bad rates. While Credit card companies provide both convenience and protection at a fixed fee - sometimes it works out better than the money changer rates.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Also sharing something which I got from my card company

Citibank Hong Kong
    Posted via Mobile Device