Hang Seng Credit Card

Closed Thread

Hang Seng Credit Card

I will be applying for a student credit card with Hang Seng. Just a few questions for those who know about credit cards in hong kong.

1. Is there protection for theft and fraud? If so how does it work and how much does it cover?

2. i dont have any hang seng bank account ( I have one with HSBC), so how do I actually pay my bills?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyamato:
    2. i dont have any hang seng bank account ( I have one with HSBC), so how do I actually pay my bills?
    1. going to the bank and pay
    2. PPS
    3. Transfer money from HSBC to Hang Seng bank using the ETC machine

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    1. going to the bank and pay
    2. PPS
    3. Transfer money from HSBC to Hang Seng bank using the ETC machine
    also set up autopay.

Great, and what about consumer protection? If my card is stolen or used fraudilently I am liable?

Probably two things you should have thought about before signing??

As I read it the OP hasn't signed yet.

Anyway, looking at the Hang Seng website and pulling down the Hang Seng Credit Card Benefits Directory I see that

Attention: If your Credit Card is lost or stolen or misused, you are liable to Hang Seng Bank Limited ("the Bank") for all unauthorised credit card transactions up to HKD500 before the Bank is actually notified of such event. This limit is only applicable to loss directly related to the credit card account and does not cover cash advances. Subject to applicable laws and regulations, however, you shall be liable for all cash advances, withdrawals, transfers and transactions (whether or not authorised) effected with the use of the PIN before the Bank is actually notified of the loss or theft or unauthorised disclosure of the PIN. Further, you are liable for all unauthorised transactions if you have acted fraudulently or with gross negligence or have failed to inform the Bank as soon as reasonably practicable upon notice or suspicion of any loss, theft or unauthorised disclosure of your cards and/or PIN or failed to follow the safeguards set out above.
    Last edited by PDLM; 19-09-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Dont worry I havent signed anything yet. Thanks PDLM, I wonder is this standard in HK for all cedit cards? Or just Hang Seng. If so which card provider which over no liabilities.

I think that's pretty much standard. Just to be clear, your maximum liability in any circumstances (unless you have been negligent with the card, e.g. by having the PIN written on something in the same wallet) is HK$500. And as soon as you have called their card loss centre to report it lost or stolen then your subsequent liability is zero.

Frankly it seems very reasonable to me.

Great. Im considereing applying for the Hang Seng card or even a Citi Card. I wonder if I am rejected by one card does that somehow have a negative effect on me?