Opening a migrant account for UK to HK transfer

Closed Thread

Opening a migrant account for UK to HK transfer

Hello,

Moving to HK very soon, and I'd like to move the majority of my UK bank balance to HK, and I'm wondering what my options are in this regarding.

I've heard that if I set up an account with HSBC in the UK, they can actually assist in the setting up of the HK account, as well as save money on any transfers.

Is this actually a beneficial route to go down, does anybody have any advice or alternatives that I should consider when looking at this?

Thanks very much

It is if you qualify for what HSBC calls its Premier service. In HK that means having a total relationship balance with them of HK$1M, in the UK I think it's GBP60,000. You only need to qualify in one place (which becomes your "home" country as far as HSBC is concerned) and then you get the same Premier status anywhere in the world that HSBC operates. It makes it much easier to open accounts, transfer money and so on.

But if you don't meet the Premier criterion then I'm not sure there is any real benefit having HSBC at both ends vs whatever you currently have in the UK.

Oh I certainly don't qualify for the Premier then Thanks.

Sorry, info I was going to offer was incorrect

Last edited by SilverHK; 23-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.

carn1x

For HSBC Premier in the UK you can also qualify on an income basis, £100k per annum. Details here:

HSBC Premier: International premier bank experience | HSBC Bank UK

You could just wait until you arrive in HK, open a local multi-currency account here (you need a passport, recent utility bill with your name on it from the UK), then just transfer the money yourself from your UK account* to your HK account online (wire transfer, keep it in GBP for now).

*assumes you have online access to your UK account now.

Last edited by emx; 24-01-2010 at 09:20 AM.