Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM

CDN email transfer to HKD??

Closed Thread

CDN email transfer to HKD??

Hi,

I read alot of postings with regards to fund transfer from foreign countries. However, i havent seen anyone try email transfer... would that be possible ?? Reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to wired some CDN over to HSBC hk account.

Can someone provide me some suggestions?

thanks for the help.

You mean you somehow want to fix some notes as an attachment to an email?

I'm not sure I understand the question. You have C$ in a bank account in Canada and you want to get them to a bank account in Hong Kong, and you're in Hong Kong. Is that it?

yes that's correct. In my canadian acc, there's an option where i can transfer money (paypal like) using email, and because I have only used it to send money within canada and US, i'm not sure if it will work for HK.

I'm pretty sure email transfer is only for within Canada.

From TD Canada Trust's website:

"With our convenient Interac Email Money Transfer service and EasyWeb Internet banking, you can send money directly from your personal bank account to anyone with an email address and a personal bank account at a Canadian financial institution."

Last edited by Eddy Mundo; 09-02-2010 at 11:06 PM.

Yeah Ive never heard of email transfer before either. It must be a local Canadian thing.

I think the best way to transfer is to do what is usually called a TT (Telegraphic Transfer). You may be able to do it online, or you may have to phone your bank.

You can have your canadian bank exchange CAD-HKD first and then transfer HKD to your HSBC account. But in the past, I have found that the exchange rates are better in HK. So in other words, you should open a CAD multimoney account with HSBC HK and then transfer CAD from Canada to HK. Do not allow the Canadian bank to do the exchange. They usually want to do it, but inform them that you only want to send CAD. Then once the money is in your HSBC account, you can use HSBC online to transfer from CAD to HKD.

quicyl is talking about interac email (max 1000 CDN) which doesnt apply here.

from what i was told at hang seng, if u have a multi-currency account in hk, u can simply write a normal cheque from that cdn account and deposit it - the hold is about 30 days. this should be the same at a hsbc premier account.

like bdw said...do not let the canadian bank convert..., akin to highway robbery, sometimes the spread can be in excess of .50 cents HKD per CDN dollar.

good luck

Last edited by DJ008; 10-02-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add

Bumping this thread back up! I will arrive in HK from Canada Nov 21st and was wondering if I could open an HK bank account and deposit a personal cheque from my Canadian bank thus depositing my money?! Thanks in advance

They won't like it - just pull HK$500 cash from your Canadian account using your ATM card and pay that in.

Football16 likes this.