Returned cheques

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

It's a total embarrassment for the company that's for sure... Lost my respect and credibility with them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Indeed - cheques are so 20th century. What's wrong with a wire transfer?
    I prefer cheques. It makes it easier to keep your accounts in order.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I prefer cheques. It makes it easier to keep your accounts in order.
    How the heck can you conclude this? A cheque is a piece of paper that vanishes into thin air... a transfer leaves a clear electronic record that i s available to download and keep in files! The only way to manage checks is to fill all the details in on the stubs (which I never do, as it's a right pain and there is never room!) and then spend hours balancing the checkbook every so often..... hardly easier.

How the heck can you conclude this? A cheque is a piece of paper that vanishes into thin air...
    No, a cheque leaves a stub which remains in your possession.

Electronic records on the other hand can be changed by the bank at any time.

Unless you photocopy the cheque and file it away ... What a hassle lol!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Electronic records on the other hand can be changed by the bank at any time.
    That's getting rather far into tin-foil hat territory!

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Indeed HK has it completely the wrong way around.
    I was stunned to discover recently that HSBC Jersey has it the same way round - cheques are free, wire transfers to other UK (non-HSBC) banks cost money! I'm not sure if this applies to all UK banks now, but it never used to be like that with NatWest.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    That's getting rather far into tin-foil hat territory!
    You really think so? Wait until you get into a dispute with a bank. Far better to have hard-copy proof offline.

How is a cheque book stub proof of anything? There is absolutely no method of validating that what is written on the stub bears any relation whatsoever to what is written on the cheque.

I can see that the scans they do on the cheque paying in machines would provide some evidence though.

But seriously, if you have evidence that a bank has falsified an electronic record then you need to be going straight to the regulator and/or police.

Last edited by PDLM; 19-03-2010 at 06:36 AM.

You really think so? Wait until you get into a dispute with a bank. Far better to have hard-copy proof offline.
    Like a cheque stub that you can write anything on, regardless of the cheque? If it is so important to you, you get printable receipts for all electronic transactions anyway. Plus a text message for transfers.

Agreed with PDLM and Movingin007.

If you do not trust the banks then do not use them.... and the government covered up Alien life in Area 57.... and 9/11 was a conspiracy.