Like Tree6Likes

Another Credit Card rant

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

I'm a gwailo and HBSC gave me VISA credit card even during my probation period in my company.

I understand that HSBC is not the only bank, but it was the first bank that I went with since I was an HSBC customer in Canada. I applied many times because the first time it was that I didn't have proof of income, 2nd time was I needed to wait 3 months, 3rd time insufficient income, 4th time was now this. Had I knew from the start that even with my income and my contract they would not give me a credit card, I wouldn't of applied the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. And now I am looking for other banks, not just for a credit card but for my personal finance.

For the Advance Platinum card, I do not meet the sufficient income requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by IMJuksing:
    Bryan, that sounds weird. With an Advanced account, there is a HSBC Advance Platinum card that is pre-approved. I signed up for the Advanced account about 3-4 weeks ago, and got my Visa card last week - pretty quick IMO. Originally, I was informed that I would not need to submit any proof of income, however, a week after applying, I got a letter from the credit department stating that they would need a copy of my employment contract. A week after faxing my contract, I got the card in the mail. On top of that, I was not asked to show 3 months proof of income, and my contract just started.

Maybe it would be better to speak with another representative from another branch, and ask what they mean by 'pre-approved' platinum card.
    That is exactly my experience too. In fact I applied on 1st March and got the card in the post yesterday. They did actually reject my wife's card application, but only because the bank staff filling in the form must have applied for a separate card for her, rather than a secondary card on my account. One phone call and this was sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:

They don't seem to list one?

http://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/PA_1_3_S5/c...lcome_pack.pdf

Not sure if this helps or not, but I applied using my Canadian Passport

Quote Originally Posted by BryanL:
    I understand that HSBC is not the only bank, but it was the first bank that I went with since I was an HSBC customer in Canada. I applied many times because the first time it was that I didn't have proof of income, 2nd time was I needed to wait 3 months, 3rd time insufficient income, 4th time was now this. Had I knew from the start that even with my income and my contract they would not give me a credit card, I wouldn't of applied the 2nd, 3rd, 4th. And now I am looking for other banks, not just for a credit card but for my personal finance.

are you still loyal to HSBC now that your have been rejected 4 times? HSBC may have good promotions, but if their service stinks, why choose them? if i was you, i threaten to close your acc and choose any bank if this carries on.

>> Or another bank! FFS.

Exactly. Do you really want to deal with the world's local bank when they cannot be consistent between two branches across the street from each other...

I have my payroll and investment account with HSBC and after initial hiccups it is running smoothly. But I do not have a CC with them, the bonus program sucks.
    A CC does not need to be with the same bank you have you payroll account with.
    I was happily accepted at Citibank, DBS, Fubon and Amex directly :-)

Last edited by caipiroska; 18-03-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: typos

FYI. I just checked my credit card application form for the Advanced account. Apart from choosing your 'Choice of Credit Card', there is also another check box for:

"Please indicate if you wish to accept a Visa Platinum Card / gold card / classic card if you are not offered an HSBC Advance Visa Platinum Card / Visa Platinum Card/ gold card. .... " followed by a checkbox list of all cards they offer.

I mean, if a full time university student with no source of income can successfully apply for a classic card, logic would dictate that you be able to also.

Anyways, on another note, I also opened a Preferred Account at Hang Seng bank, which is equivalent to HSBC's Advanced, a week after signing up with HSBC. Same sign up process and offering a pre-approved credit card, but I didn't have to provide proof of income, they just asked what was my salary, what I did, and if I owned or rented - and how much. I picked up my master card 2 days ago (Tuesday). No hassles.

No bank* in HK will give me a credit card, I've even got my credit report online to see why and there's no huge scare stories on that at all.

I've given up now, I transferred my AMEX card frm back home and they were really helpful to me, and at least with that card I can't spend more than I can pay back.

*ok, just HSBC and DSB. I gave up after that

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast