thanks for the help!

The salary needed for a credit card for HSBC / Hang Seng Bank is:

Platinum
    $500,000 p.a.

Gold
    Between $150,000 to $200,000 p.a.

Classic
    $60,000 p.a.

it is not necessary to open an account in your home country - you will still have to incur bank charges for transferring funds over, and it doesn't do anything to boost your credit status.

Just bring along your employment letter and work visa to the bank so you can demonstrate your creditworthiness. The bank will approve the application on a case by case basis.

The alternative requirement apart from income level is to have the same amount deposited in the respective bank account. e.g. deposit $500,000 to be eligible for a Platinum.

Citibank Ultima is by invitation only.

Last edited by hknt; 26-01-2006 at 04:06 PM.

I was at HSBC the other day asking about a new credit card, the lady said the salary requirement for the "usual" credit card would be a monthly income of $5000 or above. If you just got a job and don't have income proof yet, your contract which specified your salary would actually work I think. Of course you'd need address proof too. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by hknt:
    it is not necessary to open an account in your home country - you will still have to incur bank charges for transferring funds over
    As I understand it, if you have an HSBC Premier account in each country then there are no charges for moving funds between them.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had assumed she would be opening a HSBC PowerVantage account.

Last edited by hknt; 30-01-2006 at 09:01 AM.

Do you have to present an employment contract or a proof of monthly autodeposit to apply for a regular HSBC Gold Visa? I talked to a woman at HSBC, and she says we need employment contract, monthly autodeposit and a letter from the Company. Seems like a lot of information required....

Quote Originally Posted by biothermus:
    I was at HSBC the other day asking about a new credit card, the lady said the salary requirement for the "usual" credit card would be a monthly income of $5000 or above. If you just got a job and don't have income proof yet, your contract which specified your salary would actually work I think. Of course you'd need address proof too. Good luck.
    Well...good luck in apply for HSBC credit card. I myself have been in HK for about 8-9 months now. Applied for an HSBC credit credit two months ago, got rejected. Yes... I did provide them with employment letter, bank stmt to prove the salary deposit, and I have a HSBC PowerVantage account. I still can't get a basic credit card from HSBC. I never thought it would be so hard to get a credit card here in HK.....

i think hsbc has approved my application. been only in hk for like 2 mths. but again i have not receive the card only saw it at the branch manager's screen. so cross fingers.

provided the said documents. and nothing else. so not sure what's the differences.

Usually contract with salary proof is good enough, plus address proof. What helps is also if your company is willing to write a separate letter indicating your compensation as an employee at the firm. Seems to boost your credibility.

HSBC credit card is still the best for using around Hong Kong in terms of discounts at dining and shopping spots. Usually the places don't ask if you have a specific card though so whenever you're eating out, ask them if they have any particular offers for credit cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-roos:
    Well...good luck in apply for HSBC credit card. I myself have been in HK for about 8-9 months now. Applied for an HSBC credit credit two months ago, got rejected. Yes... I did provide them with employment letter, bank stmt to prove the salary deposit, and I have a HSBC PowerVantage account. I still can't get a basic credit card from HSBC. I never thought it would be so hard to get a credit card here in HK.....
    i think it all depends on the bank clerk who are processing your files. with similar background, some guy may decide to issue the credit card, while some may simply reject it.