Salary to get a credit card?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I guess you are right, it does depend on who is approving the credit card, whether that person woke up on the wrong side of the bed or not, whether he/she goes by the book all the way (pretty black and white person) or whether he/she goes by the book, yet know to make prof. judgement call on case to case basis....

Quote Originally Posted by Sue-roos
    I guess you are right, it does depend on who is approving the credit card, whether that person woke up on the wrong side of the bed or not, whether he/she goes by the book all the way (pretty black and white person) or whether he/she goes by the book, yet know to make prof. judgement call on case to case basis....
    I also didn't manage to get a credit card from HSBC being a PowerAdvantage customer with them. I think HSBC has a mysterious computer system to approve your application, and it is pretty buggy. There are more than one bank here, so I take my money to Citibank where it is better appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by larac
    HSBC require 3 months of salary paid into your account before considering you for a credit card which can take abut a month to process
    I've only been in HK just over 4 weeks, I bank with HSBC but first HK salary doesn't go in until Monday (I've put a total of $5k in there to tide me over) and they gave me a Platinum Visa - is this rare?

Quote Originally Posted by adam65
    I've only been in HK just over 4 weeks, I bank with HSBC but first HK salary doesn't go in until Monday (I've put a total of $5k in there to tide me over) and they gave me a Platinum Visa - is this rare?
    Their computer apparently likes you, congrat!

I did take along a letter from my employer confirming my salary though.....

it is true what you say about the clerk liking you i got a HSBC gold acc & a power advantantage card and only deposited 2 grand ragrdless of the fact that i had 14k cash on me on that day the lady asked when i would get paid & i said 1 weeks time & she said thats fine just deposit 2k.....i got my ccard 3 weeks later....no probs.... but brought a leter of employment & commission structure.

How long does it take HSBC or other banks to process your credit card application and to have the card in your hands?

I have just been rejected for my first ever credit card (HSBC), I have been working for the same company for 2 years - they just renewed my contract, I have HK$40,000 in my savings account, I earn between $20,000 - $35,000 a month & I have no debt!!

I don't actually want credit - I don't even agree with the idea of credit, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to book hotels, flights & hire cars without a credit card. All I want to do is access my own money to book these things.

Years ago in the UK I had a Debit card that worked like a C/C but just deducted the money from your account. They don't have anything like that here! I'm also getting sick of going to the cinema to buy tkts to find they have sold out - what a luxury to be able to book online!!

Does anyone know which banks are more lenient or willing to give a credit card?

I would definitely give Citi Bank a go. Try their Optus platinum or gold credit card which has a 'perpetual annual fee waiver' and can be used as an Optus card with $250 daily auto recharge. We initially thought Amex was enough. But sometimes a visa/master card is also essential. I had to ask a friend's help using his visa card before we got ours approved in order to apply for demestic helper insurance. All the banks are either asking to pay by visa/master or using their e-banking system.

Having a credit card will not be a problem other than giving you shopping convenience and reward points etc, if you pay off the statement balance in full when it's due. Good luck with your application.

Oops! Sorry I mean Octpus not Optus!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3