StandardChartered is offering me money

Closed Thread

StandardChartered is offering me money

I'm used to banks offering loans. I usually get calls/emails/letters offering relatively minor loans ($10,000-$100,000) on a fairly regular basis. Their frequency increases around tax time.

Recently, about 3 weeks ago, I got a call from Standard Chartered telling me that I've been pre-approved for a loan up to $800,000.

I immediately smelled a rat/scam coming along as I've never heard of such a thing in all my time in HongKong. The fact that we are still in a credit crunch got me thinking this must be a scam of some kind.

So I looked, checked, enquired and turns out the whole thing is legit.
    The finance charges are high (in the range of 5-6% APR) but the money is available with very few strings attached.

Alas, I dont need a loan so I wont take them up on this but I was curious if others have had similar offers.

HC

I get pre-approved loan forms from HSBC through the post every couple of months it seems. All I have to do is sign the form as they have all my details typed in already. It really shouldn't be that easy...!

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    I get pre-approved loan forms from HSBC through the post every couple of months it seems. All I have to do is sign the form as they have all my details typed in already. It really shouldn't be that easy...!
    Me2 - but the amount was very unusual this time. Normally I get offered small amounts but this time 800,000HKD.

HC

Ah - no then....never been offered that much. Think the most I've been offered is around 3 times my salary. Way way short of 800k!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I get "begging" letters and phone calls too. But $800,000 is a biggie.

I just had Citibank offering me $180,000 at an APR of about 5-6%, although I suspect it might not have happened if we got to the point of them finding out that I have no salary income.