Which Bank ?

Closed Thread

Which Bank ?

I'm looking at setting up a bank account before I come over with either HSBC or Citi.

Currently in Aus so will need to be able to transfer back to an account here.

I'm assuming there are plenty of HSBC ATM's around but what about Citi?

It seems that most people here have an HSBC account but are there any other banks people would recommend.

Thanks
    CK

You are never far from an ATM machine in Hong Kong. HSBC has their own extensive network, while Citi is part of the Jetco network which is also extensive.

It costs you a couple of hundred dollars to set it up in Aus. I tried before i left and it took 3 weeks and AUD$200 odd dollars.

You can set one up in HK for free with HKD$100 deposit and start using it straight away.

You can transfer money back to Aus but it takes a bit getting used to the new banking system as there is alot more manual setups that need to be done.

Anyway it's easy to go into a branch and transfer money as long as you have all the right info.

I have now setup internet banking and transfer back money quite easily.

Like in Aus there is an ATM charge of HKD$15 for non HSBC ATM's.

If you have an account with citi in Australia it will be very convenient and free to transfer money. Not that many branches, but you generally won't need the branches anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by amseiko98:
    If you have an account with citi in Australia it will be very convenient and free to transfer money. Not that many branches, but you generally won't need the branches anyway.
    Free is very relative specially for forex transactions. They dont charge you for service but kill you with the rate.