Like Tree30Likes

open a bank account before moving

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

open a bank account before moving

I'm going to HK for a week next month to sort out a few things for my relocation.

Was thinking to open a bank account while I am there. Does anyone know what kinds of documents I should bring with me? Is there an appointment required?

I will be staying in Causeway Bay area. I had thought about HSBC, but it seems many people on this forum recommend Standard Chartered. Any suggestion?

You need passport, HKID card, proof of address in HK and proof of income (appointment letter with salary will do) or at least we did for the type of account we opened (I think it required a min income so you might not need the last bit depending on type of account). That was with HSBC. We did have to make an appointment but that might've been because it was a joint account and we had to both be there.
    If you ring the bank they will tell you what they need to open the account. We planned to do the same as you but ended up doing when we arrived as didn't have ID card and address proof arranged. We still had to fill in various forms etc after that for credit cards etc but that got the account open at least.

chnlong likes this.

Document required

1. Passport /Hong Kong ID card (Either of these is required)
    2. Proof of residence in Honk Kong (Rental Contract/Utility Bills)
    3. Employement papers (Appointment order/salary certificate)

I was able open an account with HSBC with the above mentioned document

chnlong likes this.

I was able to open a couple of accounts without step 3 at hang seng in cwb. I did dump some funds though...
    Posted via Mobile Device

chnlong likes this.

TNT, iamasmallgiant, and DJ008,

Thank you guys for the advice. I have my passport and employment letter showing the salary. However I do not have a proof for HK address because I will be moving in July and will be staying with friend for the first a month or two. Can I use a proof of my UK address instead?

DJ008, how much fund did you deposit when opening the account?

I sent an email to SCB two days ago, but have not heard anything back.

I was able to open a bank account in HSBC with my home address back in Australia. I showed a house rates bill with my address. Bring along appropriate docs similar.

I enquired about an account before i left Australia about 3 days before I did leave and HSBC said that it would cost $200 AUD to do and around 3 weeks. They suggested just to get to HK and do it for free and get it straight away. Which I did.

Minimum of $100 is fine for a basic account.

chnlong and ferrouswheel like this.

It was 6 figures and was transferred to the new account via my wife's account (which I moved funds from Canada to avoid charges). Come to think of it, I didn't have a proof of address either as the rental agreement was in her name. I guess situation might be different from yours as the banks here are about "relationships" (her accounts have been established for years). Cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device

chnlong likes this.

Hi
    HSBC offers different types of accounts. You can visit Hong Kong Banking Services - HSBC Hong Kong for know more about HSBC accounts.

chnlong likes this.

I opened a Hang Seng Bank account with a US passport / Proof of address in NYC and 500HKD. That's all I showed and my account was opened without a problem.

Note: All of the bank statements will be sent to your home address (Mine - NYC) until you change it, which I did shortly after establishing a fixed residence here.

chnlong likes this.

A proof of address in your home country is definitely enough, but required.

chnlong likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast