View Poll Results: Which bank/account do you hold as a primary account?

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • HSBC Primier

36 28.35%
  • HSBC Other

44 34.65%
  • Standard Chartered Priority

10 7.87%
  • Standard Chartered Other

4 3.15%
  • Hang Seng

10 7.87%
  • Citi

6 4.72%
  • DBS

0 0%
  • Other

17 13.39%
Like Tree4Likes

Which bank do you hold a main account with?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

RE: HBSC Premier

If for some reason you can't get to a computer, you can do your banking on the phone with a dedicated Premier phone number. My branch in San Francisco also included a free safe deposit box. It's been my experience in the short time I've been an HSBC customer that their everyday services/products are mediocre, but they do offer some very useful advantages if you are trying to tether your finances between HK and another country. These advantages have been mentioned already, so I won't repeat them.
    FYI, they Premier level requires a minimum deposit in one single location rather than the aggregate sum of all the HSBC accounts you hold around the world. And it appears it's considerably more expensive to reach Premier in HK as the minimum is $1,000,000HK. In the U.S. it's $100K US. Also right now, there is a promo in the U.S. that gives a free Dell Mini 10 for those that open a Premier account.

Last edited by huja; 21-07-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Added more info

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    RE: HBSC Premier

FYI, they Premier level requires a minimum deposit in one single location rather than the aggregate sum of all the HSBC accounts you hold around the world. And it appears it's considerably more expensive to reach Premier in HK as the minimum is $1,000,000HK. In the U.S. it's $100K US.
    From my experience that completely depends on who at HSBC you speak to and your relationship with them. In Canada and HK they have followed a global balance policy, and in UK they were really firm about you having the minimum balance in the UK. They all seem to have different policies and different levels of actually following those policies. Some seem to make it up as they go depending on their relationship with you and kinds of investments you hold, and some follow the minimum guidelines as if its gospel.
    Last edited by Char Siu King; 21-07-2010 at 04:19 PM.

You have to arrange for accounts to be opened in other countries through the International department of the country where you meet the Premier requirements. In my experience it then works without a problem. (I am Premier in Hong Kong, but also have Premier accounts in Jersey and France)

I have been quite happy with the SCB Priority Banking so far. My relationship manager is very polite and friendly.

Today I had some issues so dropped by my branch. My relationship manager was not there, so I went to the counter directly - no queue! The girl at the counter could not anwer my questions; then two other staff came to help. They were all polite and gave me a quite good answer, but because they needed to check with other departments, so offered to call me back. They lived by their promise, and called me back within an hour twice and gave me good answers for both of my questions. I was pretty impressed.

Wing Hang for me.. Family bank..

and China bank too..

BOCHK (Bank of China Hong Kong) for me. They are good if you travel to china a lot. Looking to open a Heng Seng account as they seem to have ATMs at every MTR station (or at least everyone I've ever been!)

HSBC account holders can use Hang Seng ATMs free of charge.

huja and KTE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    HSBC account holders can use Hang Seng ATMs free of charge.
    Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by KTE:
    BOCHK (Bank of China Hong Kong) for me. They are good if you travel to china a lot. Looking to open a Heng Seng account as they seem to have ATMs at every MTR station (or at least everyone I've ever been!)
    Aren't Bank of China ATMs in a lot of MTRs too? It seems like they and Hang Seng have cornered the market on ATMs in MTR stations. I've often wondered if they negotiated some kind of deal to keep others out. Do any other banks have ATMs in MTR stations?
    Last edited by jabalong; 10-11-2010 at 05:07 PM.

It doesn't matter, because all bank cards (except HSBC/Hang Seng) can use BoC ATMs.