Is it easy to apply for credit card in HK?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is it easy to apply for credit card in HK?

I just got my job offer and will be moving to HK around July 2006.

Just wondering if it is easy to get a credit card in HK. What supporting documents do I need to produce to prove my income since right now I only have my employment contract?

Also, can I apply for a credit card if my work visa is not approved yet?

Thanks.

Just visit any bank and discuss with them that you currently won't have a pay slip but you are able to show your work agreement. It depends on the individual who is processing your application. Good luck.

Thanks, Grungerock. Any idea which bank is more lenient?

Any bank except HSBC

Or Citibank, who steadfastly refuse to give me a sensible credit limit (currently not much more than 50% of my monthly salary) meaning that I quite regularly have to make multiple payments each month just to stay within my credit limit...

Oh, I was actually looking at HSBC and Citibank, so now I can forget about them!

Is Standard Chartered okay?

IMO Hangseng Bank always has the best service.

When we came to HK 3 years ago, Hangseng wouldn't give my husband a credit card, even though he had a good salary and a 3 year contract, and wouldn't tell him why. Eventually we heard from a couple of our friends (also expats) that had the same experience, and put two and two together. We ended up getting a credit card with BEA because they had a deal with my husbands workplace.

i got my hsbc cc about 2 months after i arrived here. hmm... a friend of mine had problems getting a cc here in hkg as well... more of a discrimination thing than anything else she said.

Hang Seng has a different credit scoring system if you don't have a permanent ID card.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast