How do I become self employed in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do I become self employed in HK

I have recently moved to Hong Kong and I am a sports consultant (Marketing & Events). Having spoken to a couple of companies I believe the best way to start out for myself is to freelance with 2-3 companies (i.e. 2 days with one 1 with another etc)
    I am married and my dependent visa is in process. My husband works in HK an has a HKID card.

My question:

How do I become self employed in Hong Kong?

Would appreciate the basic, straightforward answers.

Thanks

Basic, straightforward - don't apply for a job at any other company. Open your own company either Limited, Partnership or Sole Proprietor. Then network, network, network...

Hi,

Your first step will be to register your business. All the information you need is here.

Well, I guess first step is to wait until you have your dependant visa, then off you go!!

Register as sole proprietor. Get some business cards printed. Get an a4 page with relevant information on it for prospective clients. Network at sensible event and/or schlep around every gym etc trying to get some clients. Good luck.

Many thanks to all the quick replies. I thought there was a difference between working as a freelancer and setting up a company as a sole proprietor.

I assume from the information you guys have given me that in order to be self employed you have to set up a business and work under that name to do biz in HK?

Alternatively you can just work part-time for different employers if you don't want to set up a company.

Depends why you want to be self-employed.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixster:
    Many thanks to all the quick replies. I thought there was a difference between working as a freelancer and setting up a company as a sole proprietor.

I assume from the information you guys have given me that in order to be self employed you have to set up a business and work under that name to do biz in HK?
    If you work as a freelancer you still have to pay tax. Even if you don't need a company you need to register as a sole trader/proprietorship, it's like that in every country I've been to anyway.

Of course, you can choose to pay tax as an individual when you are a sole trader so in the beginning you'll likely pay no or very little tax.
    Last edited by bryant.english; 26-10-2011 at 11:15 AM.

I accept I have to pay tax, for now I want to work for a couple of companies for a couple of years and establish myself, if I think that what I can offer can become a company entity then I will pursue this and set up a company but for now I want the flexibility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vixster:
    I think you've mis-understood the answers you have been given. Registering as a sole proprietor is basically registering YOURSELF as self-employed. It's about tax. It's NOT a business, which is different and much more complicated. You can't just be a freelancer without either - you need to be sole proprietor for tax reasons. Name can just be your name.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast