Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By carang
  • 3 Post By bryant.english

sole-proprietorship or limited, someone please help?

Closed Thread

sole-proprietorship or limited, someone please help?

hello everyone,
    i was hoping someone could help me on this. i want to set up a company, with only me as the director, it would be basically to babysit at other people's places.

im really confused about:
    1) should i be registering a limited company or a sole-proprietorship,?
    2) in my situation, what would be the advantages and disadvantages of both in hk?

iv heard that a limited company must have its accounts audited every year, and that means more costs, so apart from protecting your assets, what else does a limited company offer?

thx a lot.

Why do you need sole proprietorship for baby siting? How much turn over you expect? Just put the money in your pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Why do you need sole proprietorship for baby siting? How much turn over you expect? Just put the money in your pocket.
    i don't expect much money but since im an expat, dont want to go the illegal way to work. i have a dependent visa, so am just hoping to make some money in my spare time when husband is at work.

in that case, you want a sole proprietorship. if you have a limited company, you need to have an accountant audit your books every year.

if you have a sole proprietorship with less than a certain amount income, you can just file it on your personal salaries tax forms. much less hassle.

Oldtimer likes this.

I have to agree with Cara. Register the sole proprietorship.

I notice you factored in protecting assets as an advantage of an LLC and I wondered if you are thinking in terms of public liability? If so you can and should get public liability insurance and you can get this as a sole proprietor.

I have public liability insurance for my centre and it covers me teaching outside of the classroom also - something like $10 000 000 for $4500 per year and covers for damage to thrd parties and/or their property!

I was pretty happy with that!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    in that case, you want a sole proprietorship. if you have a limited company, you need to have an accountant audit your books every year.

if you have a sole proprietorship with less than a certain amount income, you can just file it on your personal salaries tax forms. much less hassle.
    Ill go with the sole proprietorship then. Do you know,by any chance, if i still need to go to the business registry to register or go directly to the inland revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by carang:

And thx a lot for your reply.i really appreciate.

the business registry IS in inland revenue building. just go there. depending on the queues, it's taken as little as 30 minutes as much as an hour or two.

Carang thx for the tips..went there yesterday and it took only 30mins,its quite a simple and easy process..cheers mate