Like Tree22Likes

Now I've seen everything

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Not quite the same thing, but mrs jj was reading an article recently about a straight a student (from HK) who failed applications for top US universities because their application letters/ interviews were not impressive enough.

Interviewed parent said "he should've taken interview and writing classes earlier"... and then "i will try and suggest amendments to his future application letters"

Journalist agreed and said it shows students need to work harder on predicting interview questions etc. Because that will help them stand out from the crowd... ? ? ?

And there you see the problem.

Last edited by justjoe86; 16-04-2012 at 03:45 PM.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    Ha.

At my firm about once a month a trainee solicitor applicant's mother calls up asking about the trainee's application, etc. Always amuses whoever the mother ends up calling (usually some random lawyer who has nothing to do with recruitment). All we can say per firm policy is that the application has been received and the firm will reply in due course, but that response is never good enough for these ladies and we typically get shouted at, which seriously harms their child's chances.

I've also had a trainee's mother call me and complain that I was making him work too hard, twice, same trainee and mom. After the second call the firm's management pulled the poor kid into an office and told him that if he couldn't manage his family and work obligations he should look for other employment and he cried. Ugh. Worst part was he was working 45 or so hour weeks - far fewer hours than me (and I was pregnant) at the time.

These have all been local mothers (just an observation) and never heard of a father doing it.
    First time I read/hear this.

Which law firm are you with?

I'd expect (I hope I am wrong, seriously) this not to be the case with the likes of Sherman, A&O, Linklaters, Freshfields, SKadden....please tell me this is not true !!! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:

I'd expect (I hope I am wrong, seriously) this not to be the case with the likes of Sherman, A&O, Linklaters, Freshfields, SKadden....please tell me this is not true !!! ;-)
    I didn't think I would get it either though - (and luckily we have not hired him yet, and won't!) so I guess these mothers can badger the best of us. But JJ's post is interesting and I guess relevant to Hello's experience. Since my mothers were indian I can't claim that as the reason for them!

I guess if we ran a business employing maladjusted teenagers I might have had more sympathy ... but a professional services firm?

Clearly, what Hello-there's firm went wrong was that they failed to get the password to the trainees Facebook account so that they could check his personal habits, probably 'cos his mother banned him from wasting his time on facebook....

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    a business employing maladjusted teenagers ... but a professional services firm?
    What;s the difference

What;s the difference
    My staff are paid more......

Was at the time
    MovingIn07 and dear giant like this.

I wonder what would happen if these local mothers offered what "Forrest Gump's" mother did in order for her son to be admitted to school?

Hello_There....dear god, I'd have to rethink a few things then

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    NO CLUE what we are looking for in an economic consultant (a clue - they need to be able to estimate the number of hairdressers in HK in an interview).
    Reminds me of the question my old boss in London used to ask during interviews:

On average, how many strawberries are consumed at Wimbledon every year?