Like Tree4Likes

Security Cameras for office?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Security Cameras for office?

Anyone know of reputable companies for installing low cost security cameras in an office environment? I would prefer something web based, but looking for low cost and easy to use.

ideally I would like one that has wireless cams scattered around and they would all feed directly to my mac, which would be on 24/7. any thoughts on solutions?

You could get some standalone Skype webcams. Just call them up whenever you want to watch.

But what are you looking for? A 24/7 recorded record of everything that goes on, or just the ability to 'take a look' in the office when you are not around?

You could head up to Golden Computer Center where a couple of the dealers have entire systems that might be relatively easy to install.

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

my top priority would be to have a 24/7 monitor with motion sensor, so that it auto records any motion detected, and sends that data to my mac wirelessly.

It would be a bonus if I can also dial in via secure web browser and see live or semi-live data to do checkups. But that is not a critical component.

Hmm... sounds like a list of contradictory requirements. Easy to use, highly flexible, and done by a cheap company. That last one is going to be the kicker. Oh, and Mac connectivity, huh.

If you were in PC land, I'd say download a trial of BlueIris and get a couple of IP cameras. That'll get you motion-based recording and a single interface to access from an external network.

how about Axis? Anyone try them before?

Sounds like they will work, however it will save to SD Cards, which I can then access from Mac or PC via browser. They have both PC and Mac setup.

Cost seems cheap too. around USD 175 per camera, plus SD card cost.
    Would still prefer direct recording to my Mac, but this might not be bad as backup.

Last edited by BaconBreadBaker; 28-05-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Hmm... sounds like a list of contradictory requirements. Easy to use, highly flexible, and done by a cheap company. That last one is going to be the kicker. Oh, and Mac connectivity, huh.
    Why contradictory?
    Easy to use - yes because i hate unnecessarily complicated crap
    Highly flexible - not really. Just need a basic element of record video and have it accessible by me only
    Cheap company - I'm not cheap, im just conserving costs. if you can convince me why I need to pay billions of dollars for system X over a low cost system Z, please do so. But i gave that task to my IPVideo conferencing sales rep, and he failed miserably when I gave him far cheaper internet solutions that have worked just as good or better.
    Mac - yes, i hate PC's and avoid them like the plague. And if a company wants my money, they need to support my brand of choice. regardless of lame flame wars.

any recommendations for shops/retailers that specialize in this stuff?
    I was hoping to go visit a few this afternoon. Any in the Wanchai Computer centre? Or in Central/Admiralty/Wanchai?

I might just get someone to install the whole system, and buy from them as well. might be easier.

i do not think I have ever been to the MK computer center....SSP and WCC yes, but never MKCC. Where is the entrance? According to Wiki its 8 Nelson Street, but google maps street view shows no signs or entrances, and I thought I knew that area fairly well.

Ap Liu Street has some shops selling cameras etc.

Check out WECL there, too.

BaconBreadBaker likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast