Like Tree8Likes

Minimum money investment needed for Investment Visa?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Minimum money investment needed for Investment Visa?

I was under the impression that there was no minimum amount of cash needed to apply for an Investment Visa, but that the business plan needs to show that it can support itself for the first 6-12 months.
    However, I just spoke to someone who said there is a very slim chance of the visa being granted if there is any less than 300000 HKD in the account at the time of application.
    Can anyone confirm if this was the case for them?

Thanks,

Beth

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

No, there's no minimum but you have show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your business in Hong Kong. You'll need to have supporting financial statements. No idea whether $300K is deemed sufficient.

Hope it helps

Hi Beth,
    I have a registered HK business and we just got through our first year. I also just helped my business partner get his investment visa. Claire is right that you need to show self supporting evidence. However, the main thing actually for us was a good and thorough business plan. There wasn't so much 'actual' evidence, so to speak, and you're also allowed losses in the initial stages (first couple of years), but main thing is to show that you will not be a burden to the HK government and can bring something to the table. Hiring local, bring foreign business and contacts in, help to grow the local economy, etc.

Whoever you ask and where ever you go, you'll hear tons of different things, but probably best thing is to first evaluate your situation and how it pans out. Then next, a good business plan as it actually answers a lot of questions for you just writing it.

Good luck

All you need is a good business plan that shows you will make money and put something back into the local economy (i.e. taxes) and you're good as gold.

You don't need a minimum amount as most startups will struggle to muster 300k HKD at the beginning.

Thats right, there is no minimum. But they are very picky about the business plan, your experience, if the business can sustain and such. I submitted my papers when I was still in UK, they came back with a lot of questions. So I came here on a visitor visa , hired a company to do business plan. Later submitted the detailed plan, no questions were asked.

Can you recommend the company who helped you author the professional business plan?

Hi piu
    woud you mind letting me know the company you hired for business plan
    thanks.

im interested in what company you used to write your business plan as well. care to share? thanks!

Business plan DIY

I don't really know why everyone is so in need of a company to make a business plan for them. If you know your market you should be able to write it yourself. To make financial projections you need to have basic knowledge of finance - but you need it anyway in order to run the business you are starting.

The Immigration officials do not know more about finance than startup owners, and they know about your market even less. If you are able to convince your investors/business partners/customers in viability of your business, you should be able to convince the Imm officers easily.

The most difficult thing is probably actually to have a go at it, and here templates are a great help. I was applying for Investment Visa to Set Up a Business in 2012, and I successfully got it, no questions asked about my business plan.

So I attach a text-y template I got from some accounting website, and an Excel template that I prepared myself (I have degrees in business and finance and used to teach finance to non-finance people). I prepared financials on a high-level for the first 3 years, and on a detailed level (monthly) for the first year of operation. From there you will see how much cash your business will need in order to be running, and you need to show to the Imm guys that you have that cash.

Good luck to everyone.
    Khema

Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Khema:
    I don't really know why everyone is so in need of a company to make a business plan for them. If you know your market you should be able to write it yourself. To make financial projections you need to have basic knowledge of finance - but you need it anyway in order to run the business you are starting.

The Immigration officials do not know more about finance than startup owners, and they know about your market even less. If you are able to convince your investors/business partners/customers in viability of your business, you should be able to convince the Imm officers easily.

The most difficult thing is probably actually to have a go at it, and here templates are a great help. I was applying for Investment Visa to Set Up a Business in 2012, and I successfully got it, no questions asked about my business plan.

So I attach a text-y template I got from some accounting website, and an Excel template that I prepared myself (I have degrees in business and finance and used to teach finance to non-finance people). I prepared financials on a high-level for the first 3 years, and on a detailed level (monthly) for the first year of operation. From there you will see how much cash your business will need in order to be running, and you need to show to the Imm guys that you have that cash.

Good luck to everyone.
    Khema
    Having seen the quality of some posts on here I can see why they might use these companies lol
    Claire ex-ax and Fiona in HKG like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast