Question regarding small business in HK

Closed Thread

Question regarding small business in HK

A friend of mine is moving to HK with me next year, Im basically going to be on holiday but hes getting a 1 year work/holiday visa and planning to work a little.

In Australia you can work for yourself as a 'sole trader' with an Australian Business Number and provide services/products to people which is included in your tax return which you then pay tax on.

Is there a similar thing in HK? For example personal training, private english tutoring etc would a whole company have to be setup or can this be done as a 'sole trader'?

Thanks,

Kimboss

In Hong Kong it's called a sole proprietor business - just need to fill out a single-page form to register with the tax people.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure you can't set up your own business on a working holiday visa. Also, you can't move to Hong Kong for a year on holiday unless you already have the right to live here...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Vmlinuz, nothing about setting up a business with a WHV. Although, if you're self-employed how that works with the "same employer" restriction I don't know.

Participants of the Scheme are not permitted to engage in permanent employment and should not work for the same employer for more than six months (for participants from the Republic of Korea) or three months (for particpants from Australia, Canada, Germany, Ireland, Japan and New Zealand) during their visit in Hong Kong. Participants from Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, the Republic of Korea and New Zealand may also enrol in study or training course(s) during their visit

Hey Kim

Private English tutoring would be a great business in Hong Kong. If you are keen you should do it in China because Chinese parents are willing to pay good cash in exchange of good English skills.