Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 2 Post By flameproof

Taobao store (how to open?)

Taobao store (how to open?)

My Chinese is quite bad, however I am currently learning it and possibly will pay for a bit of help setting it up at some point. (one of my Chinese friends)

I want to know, how much does it cost to set up a taobao store? How is it done?

Can I open up a Hong Kong account outside of Hong Kong provided I have an ID?

Do I need to be a Chinese Citizen to open a shop? If I just need a HKID then can I chose an English name on there (I have no legal Chinese name at the moment).

Thanks

It's my time to test your Chinese ^^

Taobao uses 实名注册. Which means that every seller/ buyer on taobao store needs to use their official ID to register for an account. You could register if you have a HKID and you could use your English name there.

To setup, theoretically, you don't need to pay anything to setup the basic store. But as the same as ebay or any other e-commerce website, the basic store shouldn't be searchable practically...

I am not sure what's your planned budget and what's the scale of your business. If your business is big enough, there's local representative who could help you to setup everything. Otherwise, it would be auto service..

Hope my information could help.

Let me revive this one:

Anybody here selling on Taobao? I would be interested in setting up Taobao for selling some stuff. So far I just use it for buying. But I presume that the selling setup will be a bit above my mediocre linguistic ability.

I am not talking mass selling, just to list some stuff that might sell in China.

Is it that a Chinese ID is required?

Last edited by flameproof; 20-07-2016 at 12:43 PM.
    rani likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Let me revive this one:

Anybody here selling on Taobao? I would be interested in setting up Taobao for selling some stuff. So far I just use it for buying. But I presume that the selling setup will be a bit above my mediocre linguistic ability.

I am not talking mass selling, just to list some stuff that might sell in China.

Is it that a Chinese ID is required?
    I think your do need a Chinese ID

https://openshop.taobao.com/openshop/welcome.htm

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy1234:
    I think your do need a Chinese ID
    Seems not. What you certainly need is a bank account in China, and most likely a China phone number to receive SMS related to your bank - at least when you setup your Alipay sellers account.

You can see how far you get:

Taobao main page > ???? > ????

Then you click on the individual (left) store. Corporate store will need much more paperwork.

Will try it one of these days.

I am one step further. I allied for an individual store.

You need to enter your China bank account, and it will get verified right away, means you need to have access to the mobile number that you left with bank. They will send an SMS. You also need to enter the passport # that was taken when you opened the account.

Note that account names in China don't have spaces. John Doe will be most likely DOEJOHN.

After that it's verification of personal details. Again passport # etc. You need to pix of yourself holding your passport, and some scans of your passport.

Now it's in processing and I should have the result in a few days.

Again, you do not need a Chinese ID card.

Drunken Master likes this.

Update: Well, they said verification will take 2 days - but was less then 2 hours. I am verified now!

Next challenge, actually opening the store & adding stuff.

emx and snoopy1234 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Update: Well, they said verification will take 2 days - but was less then 2 hours. I am verified now!
    Next challenge, actually opening the store & adding stuff.
    I've wanted to do this for a while but have not been able to find anyone to help me.

Since you are doing it now, its all fresh in your mind, would you help me open one too?
    Happy to pay for your time and effort of course.

Drop me a PM and lets chat....

You got a bank account in China?

This things are essential:

• Bank account in China with the name of the store owner (I guess you, foreigners OK)
    • China Bank card (for the number)
    • The passport that was used to open the account - you MUST have that passport number!
    • The phone number that was used to open the account
    • Roaming for that phone # so you can get SMS in HK
    • A selfie of you holding that passport - number readable!
    • Scans of your passport, main page, and one more page (actually used for Chinese ID cards hence 2)

After that it's quite straight forward.