Like Tree11Likes

Company registration

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Company registration

Has anybody successfully registered their own company in Hong Kong without going through a lawyer, accountant etc? It looks pretty straightforward on the website so I'm wondering if its doable or best to go through someone... I'm looking to start a small company and hoping to save myself as much money as possible... If best to go through someone any suggestions? Hoping not to pay an arm and a leg!

Registration of a company is trivial and can be done by yourself. Having said that, when you compare costs, you will find that most accountants/lawyers will charge almost the same as what you would have paid doing it by yourself.

By doing it at the same/similar price, they are hoping to impress you with their services and professionalism so that you'll use them again in the future for more costly/profitable work.

Go and use a decent accountant, with so much competition out there I can pretty much assure you it wont cost you an arm&leg - it will be very close to what it would have cost if you had done it yourself.

Skyhook, Latrotech and MovingIn07 like this.

Ok great, thanks!! Any recommendations?

Just do a search here. This question gets asked and answered on a regular basis.

I did search, but the posts I found were all over 2 years old so was hoping for some more current info... Will look again... Thanks!

If it is just a Sole Proprietorship, then you don't need to go through anyone. Just go to the Inland Revenue Dept. and fill up a form. Pay HK$450, and you have registered you business.

Thanks jaykay, I had somehow missed that one...

There is slightly more paperwork on an ongoing basis with a Limited Company than with a Sole Proprietorship, and penalties for missing filing deadlines, so you might want to employ someone for the basic paperwork anyway, unless you're the very organised type.

Sole Proprietorships are trivial: register, renew the registration annually, submit the numbers on your personal tax return (with supporting accounts if your turnover exceeds HK$2M).

From what I heard, limited companies require a HKD 150,000 account set up, plus fee. Is sole proprietorship only HKD $450 now? It used to be HKD$ 2500. It was a great way to earn a HK ID card, but I'm not sure about now, anyone know if registered sole proprietorship owners, as foreignors, can then apply for landed status?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast