Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By HK_Katherine

International Trade- starting a new business

Closed Thread

International Trade- starting a new business

Hello all,

I have been in HK for 4 years now, had been working in Finance but finally decided to do something of my own. Unlike most of my friends, I have no interest in starting an app (and no skills for that either ) but with a decent amount of savings, and also the fact that my family's business is in the same field (in India), I have decided to start an Import/Export business out of HK. I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for the wealth of information provided on the variety of topics regarding starting a new business. At the same time, I would like to see if there are people in a similar boat, having started an International Trading business recently and perhaps may want to meet up/discuss/network! Would also appreciate any senior people willing to share their experiences! I hope my post doesn't get misconstrued as "I want to start a business with zero idea, please give me knowledge!". Rather, I realised that unlike dot.coms and app-developers, it's harder to find a forum for International Trade participants, though given HK's trade activity I am sure there are many interested people out there! Thank you, and look forward to the replies.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Check out InvestHK.gov.hk. Plenty of free information on all aspects of setting up a business, from registering a company to applying for business visas.

Thanks Claire, I already have all that information thanks to all the other Geoexpat posts. I am more looking for people who are in the same field!

Your main problem will be to identify the products you want to sell. Since your family is already in this business, they can guide you about the products they are selling. They can introduce you to their clients.
    After you have identified the products you want to trade, then you need to look for suppliers of these products from China.

Quote Originally Posted by meianbin:
    Hello all,

I have been in HK for 4 years now, had been working in Finance but finally decided to do something of my own. Unlike most of my friends, I have no interest in starting an app (and no skills for that either ) but with a decent amount of savings, and also the fact that my family's business is in the same field (in India), I have decided to start an Import/Export business out of HK. I wanted to say thank you to everyone here for the wealth of information provided on the variety of topics regarding starting a new business. At the same time, I would like to see if there are people in a similar boat, having started an International Trading business recently and perhaps may want to meet up/discuss/network! Would also appreciate any senior people willing to share their experiences! I hope my post doesn't get misconstrued as "I want to start a business with zero idea, please give me knowledge!". Rather, I realised that unlike dot.coms and app-developers, it's harder to find a forum for International Trade participants, though given HK's trade activity I am sure there are many interested people out there! Thank you, and look forward to the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Your main problem will be to identify the products you want to sell. Since your family is already in this business, they can guide you about the products they are selling. They can introduce you to their clients.
    After you have identified the products you want to trade, then you need to look for suppliers of these products from China.
    Thanks oldtimer. You are right, and that is precisely the way I am going about it. To start with, I am looking at importing spices, which is a big market with a lot of spices imported from China/Vietnam to India. As this grows, I would look to move into further related products, or perhaps look to add some other markets.

The chambers might provide a good networking venue.

meianbin likes this.

The Entrepreneurs Network and the various Meetup groups dedicated to new startups are also a place to look.

meianbin likes this.