Like Tree9Likes

does small claim court actually work?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

does small claim court actually work?

yes I am sure they pass proclaimations etc -

but does it actually work?

situation - an individual / company owes me around HK$ 110,000 spread over a few invoices... ( one is HK$ 90,000 )

I suppose I can small claims court? but its gonna take a million years? and anyway after they decide he does owe me then what?

can I pass that on to a debt collection agency?

another experienced business friend of mine is telling me squeaky wheels get oiled..

meaning start to make some noise and embarass him a little.. he has fed me a 'story ' about they may restructure - go bankrupt - but he will try and pay me over a long period - never quite sure whether to believe this.

my wife has visited his office this week a few tines and its certainly resulted in lots of calls from him trying to put her off going down there.. ( seems he doesnt want his staff witnessing this sort of thing? )

so this might be working? - but not in as far as recieving any cash - just this 10% cheque run around bull shit

I am thinking of taking this up a level.. maybe visiting his office with my kids - should kill any productivity for the staff? can do this a few days this week.

what other idea can I come up with?

comedy facebook campaign ? pan handling outside his office ? we have a lot of mutual friends -

I just want what I am owed - did the jobs - they were very happy! so its not that.

its not unreasonable.

Just pay me the quoted fee for the job that was done above and beyond expectation!!!

Why did you give him credit in the first place?

existing client many years- he's always been slow. but this is refuckingdickulous

some is my fault in that I was a bit overwhelmed with personal sitiuation around the time the jobs came in- always seemed important to get the jobs in and done, paper work was just something I could do later.

jayinhongkong likes this.

small claims court is a waste of your time. he'll just go bankrupt. collection agency, even worst.

talk to him. ask him to take out a loan. would you be willing to accept 50%?

Discuss with him and tell him that if by certain date you dont get the money you will have no choice but to use a collection Agency.

If he's a local red paint on the door works

well my friend who's studying to be a lawyer did some snooping and he has no registered debts as of yet - ie mortgage or bank loans...

he does have half his company held off shore in the vigin islands!!!

any tips on lawyer shopping

but again just becos u have a judgment means zip

how about if I knew where his motorbike was? ( of course its a harley )

The advantage of Small Claims is that the principals are involved directly. No lawyers.

If nothing else, brings the guy into the same room as you. Takes a few weeks to get a hearing. Someone I know sued a doctor for $2000 (for making him wait 2 hours or something like that). The Dr was forced to come to the Small Claims court and they settled for an apology.

If a judgement is passed in Small Claims and this is an ongoing business, then they are NOT going to declare bankruptcy. This would disbar them from a number of functions, screw up their credit lines etc.

I'd see if you can split the invoices up and create a claim for $45Kish.... See how that goes, before you start spending money on lawyers - this will set you back $10K minimum (3-4 hours work I think).

scrambler likes this.

By the way, if he has an established office, staff etc, he is not going to empty that premises out. You can show up there with a bailiff and seize appropriate amounts of property. Trust me the embarrassment is not worth it for an ongoing business.

emx and scrambler like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast