Like Tree81Likes

Setting up a coffee shop in HK.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

What about French bakery, is it popular in HK? I mean baguettes, croissants etc. Does it seem interesting?

rani likes this.

We have "Boulangerie de Coral" for that.

I'm really not sure these ideas are original enough to make it in HK. For coffee wie have chains but also several artisan coffee shops too, like Brew Brothers, Cupping Room, etc. (and why anyone pays $50 for a cup of coffee from them is beyond me!). I actually wonder how they all stay in business as it's been a kind of trend. Hamburger joints are also a trend, so don't think hamburgers. As for bakery things, there are actually some decent options in my neighborhood. There's a new bakery, for example in Sheung Wan, called Paper Stone and it's kind of HKihsh, but with a twist and good quality bread. Po's Atelier too has good quality baguettes. But if someone wanted to open another option for good bread and croissants, I wouldn't object. I would highly recommend you do all kinds of not-hong-kong-bakery things and not limit yourself to one style: muffins, bagels, croissants and pastries, whole wheat options, etc. So sick of seeing one-off shops in HK... like Kiss Cupcakes. Would be great, too, if the prices could remain reasonable (mid-range), like under $20 or less for a croissant.

But.... why would anyone want to come to Hong Kong to set up a shop? You'd probably be better off just throwing your dollars in the wind and saving yourself your setup costs.

Hmm, maybe you could start an online store to sell frozen bakery good that people can bake at home. We used to buy things like this at Waitrose in the UK. There are a handful of things we like to buy lik ethis but don't want to pay for the prices from abroad. Even HK made frozen pizzas for a fraction of the price of the ones they have would be great.

Last edited by Elegiaque; 27-10-2015 at 12:06 AM.
    Gelewagen and Jamie john like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    Hmm, maybe you could start an online store to sell frozen bakery good that people can bake at home. We used to buy things like this at Waitrose in the UK. There are a handful of things we like to buy lik ethis but don't want to pay for the prices from abroad. Even HK made frozen pizzas for a fraction of the price of the ones they have would be great.
    Erm... bake at home in what, exactly? A microwave?
    angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz
    Erm... bake at home in what, exactly? A microwave?

Waitrose Frozen line, most goes into the oven.

I have a huge Park n' Shop nearby that has the steak and guinness pies and other waitrose items, but somehow the boxes are always squashed and seems a little damp when they arrive, so I have never actually bought them.

Quote Originally Posted by alph

Waitrose Frozen line, most goes into the oven.

I have a huge Park n' Shop nearby that has the steak and guinness pies and other waitrose items, but somehow the boxes are always squashed and seems a little damp when they arrive, so I have never actually bought them.
    The vast majority of HK apartments don't have space for Ovens in there kitchen.
    Not much space for table top ovens.

Thus 99% of your target is ruled out.

monochrome

I am a designer and have studied the caf market in south east asia for years, so I have a bit of self interest in posting this. I focus on cafes aimed at the expat market, WHICH HK NEEDS VERY BADLY.

The reason to set up a business, not an online one, in HK is because you love HK, as I do.

The rent will indeed kill you, but there are out-of-the-way areas, backstreets, where you might get a break. There are apartment/hotel complexes like Chungking Mansions where there are spaces and certainly a big enough customer base just in the building itself. The building by the star ferry pier is neglected and might have a cheap stall.

There are many things you can do with imagination.

It is important to be creative and be able to change your strategy fast if things go south. It would be nice if you can have enough capital to last a year without having to make money.

The formula for a successful caf includes 3 things:
    1) staff
    2) environment (includes music, dcor...)
    3) food quality

If you get any one of these right , you can make it. You can pm me.

Last edited by monochrome; 27-10-2015 at 05:02 AM.
    Gelewagen and Helter Skelter like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelewagen
    What about French bakery, is it popular in HK? I mean baguettes, croissants etc. Does it seem interesting?
    Humidity will kill a nice baguette here.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof
    Humidity will kill a nice baguette here.
    this is the problem........ you need to pop it back in the oven once you get home

What this city really needs are croissants with jam (e.g.apricot, peach) filling!!

hongkong7 likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast