Like Tree81Likes

Setting up a coffee shop in HK.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    What this city really needs are croissants with jam (e.g.apricot, peach) filling!!

Now going for a coffee and croissant at my favorite coffee shop in SSP

Last edited by East_coast; 27-10-2015 at 08:02 AM.
    emx and CarterTG like this.

What you all need to do is move to the third world Philippines - we have a large French bakery (and a German one) and a French cafe selling a variety of croissants. Coffee, quality newspaper provided free and a couple of croissants at 6am is my normal routine. The apple and almond croissants are my favourite. Drive up, easy free parking outside, life is good.

East_coast and emx like this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:

Now going for a coffee and croissant at my favorite coffee shop in SSP
    Not, not, NOT the same. What I mean is jam inside the croissant before putting it in the oven.
    Slicing a croissant to spread jam... is... not in the natural order of things
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by alexdown:
    Not, not, NOT the same. What I mean is jam inside the croissant before putting it in the oven.
    Slicing a croissant to spread jam... is... not in the natural order of things
    Agree

Hong Kong bakeries dont use butter to make their poor excuse of a croissant, they use MARGARINE not BUTTER !!! They taste bland to anybody that was raised on the real thing, the margarine variety is just, well, MERDE ! plus they don't tear / feel right. Just Horrible !

Flame actually hit the nail on the head. Bakery goods using good quality natural ingredients, due to the humidity here, just does not work. I remember how much difficulty, Olivier Malek ( who used to own La Petite France in Sai Kung ) had with trying to make REAL baguettes in Hong Kong, and in the end, he gave up trying to make them, after many failed attempts. Same deal went for croissants, they just don't turn out right due to the moisture in the air.

He ended up setting up a jet fresh deal with a family friend who was a baker in his home town ( in the Burgandy region of France ) as he was importing wine from the area anyway. Having baguette dough and uncooked ( proper ) croissants snap frozen, shipped to HK, he'd cook them here with excellent perfect results. He was well reputed/acclaimed amongst the French community of HK, as having the best baguette/croissants in this little tiny city. Sadly closed.....sigh.

Last edited by Skyhook; 27-10-2015 at 08:52 AM.
    Jamie john and alexdown like this.

Londrino

You should open a REAL american BBQ joint.

j r and Elegiaque like this.

Welcome to the new hong kong, where pessimistic is always in the air
    - the rent is too high
    - we already have this kinda shop, already have that kinda food
    - new things will NEVER work

always have something or someone to blame! sad
    If you have the capital and passion, go for it!! bring something new with your passion! bring something positive here!
    Naive? may be yes. But why not?! better try and fail than never try at all
    sorry, i havent take my coffee yet have a good day

Jamie john and Helter Skelter like this.

Haha no he shouldn't. It would be broke in no time.
    There just aren't enough Americans to support a BBQ joint.

One thing I will say, you will go broke if you are trying to live off the small profits that self kitchen prepped food operations make.

Alcohol is where the big profit is, which is amazing, when I see (certain) expats get snippy about the price of a sandwich going up 5 bucks, the poor shop owner making a lousy 45-65% gross profit, yet the same folks are quite happy buying alcohol at 300% profit margin. Fascinating pathology.

Have you guys tried 85 South in Central? That's an American BBQ joint. I think it's quite good. Although I haven't had BBQ in Texas so can't compare to the best.

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy SNK:
    Naive? may be yes. But why not?! better try and fail than never try at all
    sorry, i havent take my coffee yet have a good day

Not always the case. There have been situations where I wish I never tried at all. The biggest problem is the rent.
    Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast