Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By East_coast
  • 1 Post By CarterTG

Where to find a product designer?

Closed Thread

Where to find a product designer?

Does anyone know where I could find a product designer/engineer for a piece of exercise equipment I am trying to make?

Quote Originally Posted by ivanstep:
    exercise equipment I am trying to make?
    Perhaps you need to clarify why you are looking to use a product designer.

There may be more but I would guess there are three options why you want something made

1) A one off for personal use - Focus on function - Product Cost not so important
    2) A prototype for proof of concept - Explore function options and styling
    3) A productionabe design for mass production - Cost of product to hit design brief

Each of the above probably require a different contact.

Why do you want this thing made?
    ivanstep likes this.

Might be helpful to peruse the Jobs section of various CAD forums. Designers and engineers who use software like:

Solidworks
    McNeel Rhino3D
    Autodesk Fusion

will typically flock together in their online forums. These gathering spots typically have a section where jobs/offers get posted.

Browsing through the existing posts will give you an idea of what questions and requirements to ask. Example:

Jobs & Portfolios - McNeel Forum

In addition, be sure to look up the gallery sections of these communities to get a sense of what people are designing with the various CAD packages:

Gallery - McNeel Forum
    Photos - Rhino Community

ivanstep likes this.

It is a product I came up with and want to manufacture and right now looking for help with your point 2). So far only have a 3D printed prototype to convey the idea. Looks like there are plenty of companies that provide this service but it's too expensive for me at this stage. Freelancer sites are very affordable but it's too difficult to communicate the over the internet. There must be freelancers / students in Hong Kong.

Thanks! Will check the Jobs and Forums sections.

You could try contacting some of the export orientated prototype shops. The should be able to draw up your concepts

https://www.facebook.com/starprototype/

not cheap though. If you want a professional you need to pay for a professional.

The other option is to go to an Original Equipment Manufacturer in the field you are looking at and get them to do the heavy lifting. But again you will need to pay

Last edited by East_coast; 14-02-2016 at 11:28 PM.