Temporary employee rights in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Temporary employee rights in Hong Kong

Hi I want to hear some advices about the situation I'm facing.
    I was working for a company doing some ad-hoc work for 1 week from July 17 to July 27.
    The company I temporarily worked for said they would pay me July 18. (I don't know about others, but isn't it normal to pay after the day the job is done or latest a week later?)
    Now they said they would pay on August 18, which is pretty much two months after the work is done.
    I'm not too experience in the temporary or part time job payments. But isn't this something abnormal or am I being unreasonable I'm not too sure.

Could you give me some advice about this situation?

P.S: they kinda owe me 3650$HKD which is quite a lot for me, but may be small amount for others. But wouldn't it be more the reason they would pay earlier.?

Many thanks.

Maybe all their employees get paid on the 18th of every month?7

Two months? Um, it is like 3 weeks later...

What terms are stated in your agreement?

If you are legal in HK, then consider approaching the Labour department. There are some limits to how long an employer cam tale to give you your last check.

"Maybe all their employees get paid on the 18th of every month?7

Two months? Um, it is like 3 weeks later..."

yes its 3 week after the initial scheduled payment, but I was giving the approximate time after last day of work
    Last edited by mrkim; 01-08-2016 at 09:28 PM.

"What terms are stated in your agreement?"
    It was in Chinese, and I cannot read in Chinese. I didn't expect such event would occur. Therefore didn't read the terms and agreement that much. I guess I should have been more detailed

"If you are legal in HK, then consider approaching the Labour department. There are some limits to how long an employer cam tale to give you your last check."

I have a HKD ID and a student. I will look into that, but doing all the legal steps would cost extra, wouldn't it?

Is there any other alternatives?

Probably a mis-communication. If you were working July 17-27 then why would they pay you on July 18? August 18 is one month after July 17, not two months.

Couple things, are you allowed to take up part-time employment? If not, then you can not claim the case in front of the labour department.

Otherwise you can go to the labour department. They will help you to claim the money, and there is no fee. If you need to go to court, then you pay a fee of less than HK $100, so it is cheap. However your case won't go to court because the amount is less than the HK$8,000 threshold.

You can remind the company friendly that employment wages are due within 7 days. So just remind them a few times and then go to labour department if they didn't pay. If you are not legal, then you need to step up your complaining to the company about the 7 day rule and not paying wages owed.

If you are only on a student visa I don't think you are allowed to work. In which case you can't use the employment dept and your employer knows that. You may never get paid.
    Did you mean you worked in JUNE not July? Otherwise your dates don't make sense.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast