Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By vmlinuz
  • 1 Post By Rob2020

Kickstarter Launching in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Kickstarter Launching in Hong Kong

Looks like Kickstarter will start its HK specific business soon.

Gives local entrepreneurs a chance to easily get access to the platform without having to jump through hoops of incorporating offshore in the US etc.

Also, afraid that it will open up a whole new breed of offshoring in Hong Kong (may be good business for those who are into incorporating overseas companies in HK) where small businesses from around the world will rush to get a virtual presence in HK to bypass their local tax regimes.

Kickstarter launching in Hong Kong and Singapore this month, in boost for start-ups | South China Morning Post

Great, I think ...

Have heard so many Kickstarter horror stories, does anyone have success stories to share?

Fringebacker has a lot of success stories, including Factwire and HKFP, so there is room for crowd funding.

Have always stayed away from Kickstarter - years ago in its infancy, my son wanted to fund a youtuber, to get a t-shirt or something. Nothing ever came through. If I use it, I use it for online shopping, some neat gadget that I'd not have access to on Amazon. Have my eyes on these interesting earplugs for noise protection.

On the down side, they were also involved in a buddhist monastery fracas of sorts which made the headlines in the SCMP.

I've backed over 30 projects on Kickstarter, and I wouldn't say any of them have been outright failures - some have been, or still are, very late... My most recent 3 backings have been to people I've backed before, and was happy enough with the result to back again!

shri and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I've backed over 30 projects on Kickstarter, and I wouldn't say any of them have been outright failures - some have been, or still are, very late... My most recent 3 backings have been to people I've backed before, and was happy enough with the result to back again!
    Any cool ones you want to share with us?
    I'm curious (not doubting, just curious)

dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    Any cool ones you want to share with us?
    I'm curious (not doubting, just curious)
    This isn't one I've backed (yet), but if anyone else was interested and wanted to spread the - high - international delivery cost...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...vinyl-desk-toy