Like Tree41Likes

Finding trailing spouses

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333

    Final para. Yes. Exactly. Yes we really DO want someone who can do all that.


  2. #12

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    30,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    You really need to tighten up the job spec.

    Billing/expenses/insurance/loans/legal/research/HR/negotiating/fetching coffee. Do everything, in other words.


    That's a big ask. Very niche skills. Except for the coffee bit.

    Sounds like you need someone who has previously run a small business of their own or has been a partner in one.
    Quite common in small organisations to "multi-task". My first job at one company included cleaning, fixing, buying components and even a bit of design (I went for all black with a company logo in gold because that was the limit of my artistic skills and I had a black marker pen handy, sold millions of them ).
    HK_Katherine likes this.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,879

    Whats the salary range offered? (PM if needed)

    Writing 2 pages for something you might only want to offer peanuts for (no idea...) may discourage some spouses.

    Last edited by 100LL; 28-09-2016 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammar
    HK_Katherine likes this.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wan Chai
    Posts
    396

    You might want to reach out to the Consulates as well.....


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    4,097
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    My ideal person is the trailing spouse of a professional here, with some background in law or running firms, who would understand the needs of a small company.
    one observation, I dont see how a trailing spouse or equal could meet the criteria to undertake employment, EC, MPF, legal, banking, leasing, insurance, loans, etc. all need/require some years detailed local knowledge, or someone to teach them for a couple of years. your describing a general manager, that would be 60k post I guess.

  6. #16

    She is basically looking for a slave


  7. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wrong side of the door to hell
    Posts
    6,079
    Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    one observation, I dont see how a trailing spouse or equal could meet the criteria to undertake employment, EC, MPF, legal, banking, leasing, insurance, loans, etc. all need/require some years detailed local knowledge, or someone to teach them for a couple of years. your describing a general manager, that would be 60k post I guess.
    A trailing spouse could easily do all those things. It takes common sense, logic and active brain cells. If the person has had previous experience working for an SME then they will have done all of those things and more.
    HK_Katherine and AGxM like this.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    Whats the salary range offered? (PM if needed)

    Writing 2 pages for something you might only want to offer peanuts for (no idea...) may discourage some spouses.
    In the range 25-35k a month depending on the person (if someone can do only some of the tasks but not others, they would be at the lower end, for example).
    100LL likes this.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333
    Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    A trailing spouse could easily do all those things. It takes common sense, logic and active brain cells. If the person has had previous experience working for an SME then they will have done all of those things and more.
    Yes. That was my view. Which is why I said "not necessarily" in the qualifications because I think that common sense and a bit f experience are far more important for this kind of thing than formal qualifications.

    Anyway - it's now in the geoexpat jobs listings if anyone wants to apply. Edited by committee so a little different to what I posted above.
    kimwy66 likes this.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,333

    Well my letter idea is proving to be a useful screening device... given how many have come in already while I was in the air and totally ignored the instructions. English reading comprehension is a must lol.