Like Tree41Likes

Finding trailing spouses

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Why The Lantau Group? [genuine question].
    Nice stuff though. 27 staffs and growing.

25-35k?

Bit of a joke isn't it?

Good luck though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Now everyone knows your name @HK_Katherine, aka Mike Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Its a funny story actually. We used to be the subsidiary of a US consulting firm. After the GFC they were losing money hand-over-fist in the USA and were told by the board to "shut down overseas subsidiaries that were distracting the Board" and focus on the US. So, on the eve of Trailwalker 2010, just as hubby (who finished) and I (who supported) staggered back home in the early hours of the Saturday, we got an email saying they were shutting us down and we were all redundant on Tuesday. Yikes! So I rang up another senior guy and we discussed it and I said "lets offer them a buyout". So we met the following day (Sunday) in the Karaoke room of his place and thrashed out the details - including the name. He wanted to follow in a long line of consultancies and go for something latin - like "abaculus". Seriously??? But we are both hikers (his wife was hubbies OTW teammate) and Lantau Peak means Chinese Phoenix Mountain. We were "rising from the ashes" of the old company and it sounded Asian but was easy to spell and pronounce for all our western clients. Plus we had to decide on the Monday when we registered the company! And Lantau is where the airport is - and most of our clients are outside HK - so it was kind of fitting. It was about a 30 min discussion (we had a hell of a lot to discuss that day as you can imagine!) and the rest, as they say, is history. Anyway, so we run off to register the name and one of the guys checks with our biggest client (a large HK electricity company LOL.. with cantonese speaking staff - who are the ONLY client we have with cantonese speaking staff) and they come back with " but Lantau sounds like 'broken head' - which is kind of problematic for a consultancy surely?" We pondered again. Decided that it didn't matter as we only have one client in HK and went ahead.

SO there you go. That's why "Lantau". And yes, everybody asks.
    pin, emx and Mat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gorillaMS13:
    She is basically looking for a slave
    Doesn't that describe any job where you work for someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    In the range 25-35k a month depending on the person (if someone can do only some of the tasks but not others, they would be at the lower end, for example).
    I'm a trailing spouse and no way I would have gone to work for $25k. You have to remember that most people have calculated their finances in moving to HK based on the income from the partner who will be working.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Doesn't that describe any job where you work for someone else?
    A slave is a saying meant to describe someone who is the go to person for any job the others don't want to do. Hence they take a role of being subservient.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    25-35k?

Bit of a joke isn't it?

Good luck though.
    Nope, seems in line with what I see elsewhere outside the financial industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    25-35k?
    Bit of a joke isn't it?
    Good luck though.
    If its a joke, I dont get the punchline.

She is looking for someone, not accredited, do do various jobs around the office.
    25-35K is a excellent salary for that type of position.

For that kind of money, you can pick up a locally educated and accredited (accounting, audit etc) type of person today.

Salary seems about right for HK. I'm guessing the requirement would suit a trailling spouse who's a bit bored at home and wants a day job that doesn't require too much responsibility and a steady 9 to 5.