Like Tree41Likes

Finding trailing spouses

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. #31

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Nope, seems in line with what I see elsewhere outside the financial industry.
    It's not that the salary is too low, but it is too low for the specific type of person being sought after - an expat trailing spouse. And the work location is deep in the New Territories. So an expat mum in DB or Sai Kung is going to commute and leave her kids at home with a helper for $30K when she's been living on her husband's salary so far? I highly doubt it. There might be some English speaking PRs who are more suited for such a position.
    Skyhook, lbear40 and Char Siu King like this.

  2. #32

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    15,576
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    It's not that the salary is too low, but it is too low for the specific type of person being sought after - an expat trailing spouse. And the work location is deep in the New Territories. So an expat mum in DB or Sai Kung is going to commute and leave her kids at home with a helper for $30K when she's been living on her husband's salary so far? I highly doubt it. There might be some English speaking PRs who are more suited for such a position.
    Well lets see if the OP gets much take up from the advertisement and this thread. Hopefully the OP will keep us up to date.

  3. #33

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    So an expat mum in DB or Sai Kung is going to commute and leave her kids at home with a helper for $30K when she's been living on her husband's salary so far? I highly doubt it.
    You're right. A DB or Saikung denizen with kids wont take this job, but luckily there are huge numbers of trailing spouses with no kids (or old and gone kids) that would suit.

    For evidence of this, visit AWA, Mothers Choice, Po Leung Kuk and many similar type of operations - many of these women are bored, and looking for something challenging&meaningful to do.

  4. #34

    Not all expats coming here have a spouse that can fully support them and the spouse may be actively looking for a job. However, I must admit that this is very discriminatory. There are lots of locals who could do this work. This forum here could easily identify the company and the owners preference for a trailing spouse. Hiring should be based on ability, knowledge, and experience. Family status or personal circumstance should not be a reason for hiring such a person.

    monomono and East_coast like this.

  5. #35

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    You're right. A DB or Saikung denizen with kids wont take this job, but luckily there are huge numbers of trailing spouses with no kids (or old and gone kids) that would suit.
    The majority of trailing spouses here are women in their 20s-40s with kids. If they don't have kids when they arrive, they get pregnant while they are here. I speak as someone who was in this position. I have a job and I wouldn't have taken it if it didn't pay very well and/or offer me significant flexibility because otherwise we could continue to make it on the one income we'd budgeted on when we decided to move here.

    I know so many women who are qualified to do this job but who would never for a minute consider it as they'd rather just spend time with the kids. And I'm not only talking about people with banker spouses, even those whose partners have more modest jobs tend to think this way.
    Char Siu King likes this.

  6. #36

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Not all expats coming here have a spouse that can fully support them and the spouse may be actively looking for a job. However, I must admit that this is very discriminatory. There are lots of locals who could do this work. This forum here could easily identify the company and the owners preference for a trailing spouse. Hiring should be based on ability, knowledge, and experience. Family status or personal circumstance should not be a reason for hiring such a person.
    Very few families would move to HK for one partner's job if that salary wasn't sufficient to support them. A job for the trailing spouse is not guaranteed and often not easy to find.

    I think HK_Katherine can find people for this role at the advertised salary, but I find it odd to say she is specifically looking for an expat trailing spouse. As mentioned there are loads of PRs or people who grew up in HK who are native English speakers and would be very keen on a role like this. She didn't say she's looking for them though.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    The majority of trailing spouses here are women in their 20s-40s with kids.
    Do you have a source for this or is this anecdotal.

    Perhaps we run around in different circles but my anecdotal circle tells me different.
    kimwy66 likes this.

  8. #38

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,191
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Do you have a source for this or is this anecdotal.

    Perhaps we run around in different circles but my anecdotal circle tells me different.
    Not HK specific but
    New Expat Survey: Top Countries, Trailing Spouse Woes and More - Expat - WSJ

    Not surprisingly, 84 percent of them are women. Also not unexpectedly, only 24 percent of the spouses have jobs, mainly because of many countries’ restrictive rules on work visas for family members who are accompanying the primary wage-earner in a family.

    “It’s very difficult for a traveling spouse to find an adequate job with payment options that are appropriate,” adds Mr. Zeeck. In addition, the survey found that around 50 percent of those spouses have a post-graduate degree. “They’re highly educated, but a high share of them are staying home and not working,” Mr. Zeeck says. The survey notes that 20 percent of the traveling spouses are looking for work and another 20 percent are working part-time.

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    4,191

    Just to add that companies tend to transfer people at a certain stage in their careers which is typically 20s-40s. Many try to avoid transferring people who are older who already have 2-3 kids if they can as the costs for relocation are much higher as are the person's demands.

    I know a lot of trailing spouses whose partners do many things including education, finance, law, media, etc. There is no correlation between income of husband and willingness to work. I know hedge fund people whose spouses work and teachers whose spouses don't. So I don't think the "circles" I move in has much relevance.


  10. #40

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    13,099
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Not HK specific but
    cant read/wont signup - but the snippet you quoted does not support your assertion.
    No matter, the point being : there are plenty of trailing spouses that live within a reasonable distance to the advertised position and the salary aint bad. As long as the OP is not picky, they should be able to find something suitable; I would expect and guess that the suitable candidate will be over the age of 45.