Like Tree2Likes

Tropical Fruit Market

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tropical Fruit Market

Hello! I'm considering starting an operation for selling tropical fruits online, and in particular a tropical fruits subscription service that delivers weekly or monthly!
    Does anyone have any thoughts and/or advice on this kind of business operation? Thank you!

Tropical fruits are available in every single wet market at very reasonable prices.

What will you be offering that will tempt the consumer to go to you ?

I like Hong Kong instead of Shenzhen or anywhere in Mainland China, South Korea, Japan, Europe and Canada because of the more cheaper and larger numbers and variety of tropical fruits sold year round. No import tax unlike Mainland China and many other countries. HK is close to Southeast Asia.

Your idea work better in countries further from Southeast Asia and where more people buy fresh food from online than touching and choosing vegetables and fruits.

"Tropical fruit" is, like someone else mentioned, widely available and you can pick and choose the fruit for their ripeness based on when you'll need it. Perhaps one advantage you could offer customers is a service with local farmers who are producing organic fruit (dragon fruit, longan, rose apples, lychee, bananas, papayas). Since it would be difficult to have a steady supply, perhaps even find some reliable, organic distributors from China. Just the other day I saw a rose apple tree on Peng Chau FULL of fruit that was going to waste!

I wouldn't use an online fruit delivery service, but if you were offering this advantage, I would consider it!

I agree with another poster -- if you could find a way to bring this to those living abroad it would be better!

I am looking to sell premium fruits such as Queen Victoria's pineapple, several different types mangos and limes, avocados etc. from islands in the South Indian Ocean e.g. Madagascar

Quote Originally Posted by tropresearch:
    I am looking to sell premium fruits such as Queen Victoria's pineapple, several different types mangos and limes, avocados etc. from islands in the South Indian Ocean e.g. Madagascar
    I have no idea about fruit from Madagascar but what makes it worth a premium when tropical fruit is easily available regionally?

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I have no idea about fruit from Madagascar but what makes it worth a premium when tropical fruit is easily available regionally?
    What makes anything worth a premium when most things are available globally these days? Marketing hype with a large dollop of an appeal to exclusivity. It will be just another way for rich people to flaunt what they have, while they kid themselves that it is actually better.

I like to buy my fruit only if it looks fresh. Some vendors even allow you to touch and select the fruit. Buying fruit online there is no way to know the condition of the fruit.

Transporting the fruits to Canada, Norway or the UK probably wont make much profits with the expensive transport cost, labour cost, import and value added taxes.

Maybe. Because HK has a lot of richer people and expats?

They targeted at the more rich customers or japanese in Hong Kong only and these are not as widely available in Mainland China even with a lot of money.

Same with those expensive western food targeting western expats. Expensive chinese food and medicines targeting Chinese.

Original Post Deleted

I have been to the Yau Ma Tei fruit market last week.

Mind boggling describes it best.

I think you rethink this...but what do I know...

emx likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast