Hire foreign employee in HK

Closed Thread

Question Hire foreign employee in HK

Hi I'm working in a telecom company and my boss would like to hire an American expert in HK who's obtaining tourist visa now. He wants me to find out what kind of fee he needs to pay for the work visa. But all the information I found online is mainly for the employee to apply - the visa fee like around HKD$400 but nothing for the employer to pay?
    It seems a little strange do anyone know if my company need to pay a sponsorship fee or levy etc?
    Thanks!

Strange question. HK employers know this and foreign employees know this. The Immigration dept has information in a guide on the website.

There is no 'sponsorship levy' for employers for employment visa. The Immigration dept is not used as a revenue-generating dept like in some countries. The only cost is for the issuing of the visa, if approved. If not approved, no charge.

The key test for an employment visa is whether the foreign employee is bringing skills to HK that are not readily available here. Many people say there is a salary 'floor' to guide the immigration guys - I think that's at around HKD25k/m or so.
    It is good to advertise the position locally and log the responses to show that this talent isn't easy to find in the local market.
    The cost of the visa is more or less nothing, a few hundred HKD at most.

Quote Originally Posted by ciarachu:
    Hi I'm working in a telecom company and my boss would like to hire an American expert in HK who's obtaining tourist visa now. He wants me to find out what kind of fee he needs to pay for the work visa. But all the information I found online is mainly for the employee to apply - the visa fee like around HKD$400 but nothing for the employer to pay?
    It seems a little strange do anyone know if my company need to pay a sponsorship fee or levy etc?
    Thanks!
    Absolute specific answer, I believe the cost is HKD190

No fee if you do it yourself. Hk$190 for the visa label. Lots of paperwork if it's your first time -- an agent could help too.

The telecom company is already based in Hong Kong or setting up a new branch here?