Like Tree10Likes

Starting Up a Coin-Op Laundromat in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Starting Up a Coin-Op Laundromat in HK

Hi guys,
    I have been thinking of starting up a coin-op laundromat (self-service laundry store) in Hong Kong for years now. I was wondering if anyone over here has any similar experience/ information/ connections on how to start it up?
    I was wondering about how much initial capital am I looking at, how much revenue and net profit can I expect. Is going the franchise route or starting it up by myself better? Are there any Profit & Loss books that I would be able to see?
    Also, any other info would be much appreciated.
    Thank you so much!

I don't think the rents here will make it feasible. How many machines would you be able to squeeze in a tiny place? You would have to charge and arm and a leg to even break even.

These mon and pop laundromats make much more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    I don't think the rents here will make it feasible. How many machines would you be able to squeeze in a tiny place? You would have to charge and arm and a leg to even break even.

These mon and pop laundromats make much more sense.
    Seen a bunch these starting to pop up in Sheung Wan and SYP in the last few years (i.e. coin ops). One is a coin op and coffee shop, how trendy.
    shri and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Seen a bunch these starting to pop up in Sheung Wan and SYP in the last few years (i.e. coin ops). One is a coin op and coffee shop, how trendy.
    Seeing them all over HK
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I thought I saw some coin op laundries as well but cant remember where LOL maybe it was in SYP.

I've seen them in Sham Shui Po and Mongkok. Just started popping up in the last couple of years, so you're already a bit late to the game.

Rent is the biggest factor and then bills for this kind of business. You will need to choose the location carefully i.e. close to residential areas, but not families - you need singles or couples in small studio flats which cannot fit washing machines in (so the SYP and Sheung Wan types).

shri and Fiona in HKG like this.

Coin Op laundries do not profit on foot fall and to believe so is naive. So if that is your business plan then give it up, put it all on Red at the tables in Macau, and you will have better odds to make money. Profitable business is more that just opening the doors and taking money and until you understand that basic principle of where real turnover and profit is made in an enterprise, best to stay away. You could also stand outside the place from opening to close and see HOW it operates, with a laundry the opening hours on the door do not reflect the hours it operates and wat is inside the shop does not reflect the services it provides.

angeluscomplex likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy:
    Rent is the biggest factor and then bills for this kind of business.).
    Also - many landlords will hike rents if they see the business doing well. To the point where said business no longer becomes profitable enough to be worth running.

Presumably you'll have to install expensive equipment, so plan and negotiate carefully on this as you will be in a weaker bargaining position 2-3 years down the line, with all your machines and plumbing nicely set up and fixed in place.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast