Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

Fake News Generation

Closed Thread

Fake News Generation

I was googling the name of a company and one of the higher up links led me to a place called Danvers Record.

Once I started reading the article, I quickly realized after 2-3 sentences that its utter bovine excrement.
    Checked all other stories, and they seem similarly crappy auto generated fluff with absolutely zero substance.

Is it purely for advertising and eyeballs? They must be earning a few pennies from it.

Is there a good place to report such rubbish to Google so they dont bother indexing it?
    I've found links for scams/spams/real abuse and stuff but cant figure out where and how to report this type of theft as there is no lies, cheats, theft and similar type of crime -- but it sure wasted my time.

Check it out and you'll see what I mean : www.danversrecord.com
    Is this common? First time I've run into this...

This is common and there is an interesting black market for this.

Google news / Google finance provide a lot of clicks to websites and it is easier to get those clicks (less competition) than it is to get clicks from their main search engines.

A lot of old websites that have gotten into google news / finance feeds (might have been legit at some point.. or their legitimacy can be faked if you're good... really good.. not this templated garbage you see).

People buy and sell these websites on various website resale sites .

They then use templated and automated content to generate 100000s of articles a year. Specially related to stocks all across the world.

Here's an example found on ICBC's google finance page, for today's "news".

https://heraldks.com/industrial-and-...mar-1/?noembed

Have tried to bring this to the attention of friends (real humans) at Google ... but apparently their arses do not talk to their brains.

I've even tried to bring this to the attention of a couple of reporters at Bloomberg / NYT - and these guys are on the Google beat... but nah ..

Morrison likes this.

Here's an example of a "news" website being resold.

https://flippa.com/8278145-google-ne...ite-english-us

I have a friend who did this and he didn't know about this kind of industry until he started there. And i didn't know about this industry until he told me what he did! lol!

I think Google do care, (hence the way they change their algorithms to combat tactics to game SEO), but i think its so big, they can't make huge changes very quickly anymore.

Sooner or later Google will put them in its red book for low-quality content and spam I guess.