Like Tree11Likes
  • 5 Post By Nep
  • 2 Post By DimSumBond
  • 1 Post By JAherbert
  • 3 Post By cookie09

employer maybe responsible sexual harassment by staff members

Closed Thread

Exclamation employer maybe responsible sexual harassment by staff members

if you own a company, according to EOC, your company maybe liable for the action of your staff

Supervisor, firm sued over sexual harassment - RTHK

As an employer I would feel responsible if I was aware of it and didn’t act. That’s kinda part of being an employer isn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    As an employer I would feel responsible if I was aware of it and didn’t act. That’s kinda part of being an employer isn’t it?
    indeed this needs to be made absolutely clear by law. Too many cover ups to protect management and throw the “lowly” rank and file employee under the bus.
    JAherbert and cookie09 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    IF the employer is aware, should be easy, but as dimsumbond said, its needs to be clear. lots of cases have been unreported
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    indeed this needs to be made absolutely clear by law. Too many cover ups to protect management and throw the “lowly” rank and file employee under the bus.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    IF the employer is aware, should be easy, but as dimsumbond said, its needs to be clear. lots of cases have been unreported
    the correct quote is not if the employer is aware. the correct quote is "If the employer should be aware"

the issue most often being that employers kind of pretend it doesn't happen, close their eyes for sign that it does happen and provide no outlets for people to raise such issues
    hullexile, er2 and angeluscomplex like this.

The EOC press release is more clear on why - the employer should have taken practicable steps to prevent it. This could be a landmark case for the EOC

The SDO also stipulates that employers may be vicariously liable for any discriminatory and sexual harassment acts done by their employees in the course of their employment, unless the employers can show that they have taken reasonably practicable steps to prevent the employees from doing the unlawful act.
    ShowContent

CLIC - Anti-discrimination - Sex Discrimination - If an incident involving sexual harassment happened in an office or another part of the workplace, to what extent may the employer be held responsible or liable?