Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By shri

Sell a company with substantial NOL?

Closed Thread

Sell a company with substantial NOL?

I have a company that is laying dormant at the moment with a couple of million HKD in NOL that are just sitting there.
    No outstanding loans or nothing exists to third-parties and all accounting is in order.

I'd like to reclaim at least some of the losses that I incurred, at least 50%.

Has anyone ever done such a thing in Hong Kong or should I sell it to a different jurisdiction?
    Thanks.

No market. I looked into this before. The latest transaction I heard was some Chinese company bought a macau offshore company. other than that I haven’t heard of anyone who bought comapny with losses for tax reasons

Also, the losses are not worth 50%.. Discounted tax credit at best, but considering other risks.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Also, the losses are not worth 50%.. Discounted tax credit at best, but considering other risks.
    I believe 10-25% ought to be more reasonable?

Even with the risk of buying a used company. Why would anyone pay over the tax rate for losses?

I would say, a lot of business owners should already know how to minimize their taxes.

Kowloon Goon and MandM! like this.