Like Tree56Likes

How to open a university in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How to open a university in Hong Kong

I would like to open an online university. Is it possible to open a university in Hong Kong? Initially, I wouldn't be looking for accreditation by the HK government. I am just looking to register the name (say John University), and open a website, hosted by some company outside HK.

I know that in the US there are non-accredited universities (Diploma mills and such), and their legal status is somehow dubious, with the US government suing some universities for fraud (Donald Trump was sued for fraud...).

I am not trying to defraud anybody, I will try to apply for accreditation, but the university has to be open for a few years before the accreditation process can start.

Since it would be online without formal classroom, I don't mind which country the university is registered in. If anybody has any insights as to which countries makes it easier to register a university, I would be very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by john_1122:
    I would like to open an online university. Is it possible to open a university in Hong Kong? Initially, I wouldn't be looking for accreditation by the HK government. I am just looking to register the name (say John University), and open a website, hosted by some company outside HK.

I know that in the US there are non-accredited universities (Diploma mills and such), and their legal status is somehow dubious, with the US government suing some universities for fraud (Donald Trump was sued for fraud...).

I am not trying to defraud anybody, I will try to apply for accreditation, but the university has to be open for a few years before the accreditation process can start.

Since it would be online without formal classroom, I don't mind which country the university is registered in. If anybody has any insights as to which countries makes it easier to register a university, I would be very grateful.
    So to clarify, you're wondering which country's laws would be most tolerant of a fake university?
    East_coast, hullexile, emx and 5 others like this.

What would make this a university? Would its degrees be recognised internationally? You can't, or at least shouldn't be able to, just "set up a university". Sorry but this makes me want to scream!
    East_coast, MerMer, spode and 2 others like this.

The Hong Kong Chief Executive must be the Chancellor of any university in Hong Kong. I would start by writing to her and asking if she wants her name in your Ordinance.

Even though there is chronic demand it is 27 years since the last 'new' university was created in Hong Kong. Given the dire need to another University the government may be very willing.

Couple of quick questions

1) Do you love Xi JinPing?
    2) Do you have $56B to build a campus and are you willing to let Mainland SEO's build it?

Hmm, "Xi University" has a lovely sound to it...

Rooster, justjoe86, tf19 and 1 others like this.

If the university is truly to be completely online, why not register in some English-speaking country like the US? People want US (or UK or Australia) degrees and if you are planning that the format be in English, would seem a good way to go. Universities start all the time in the US, I think it's do-able. Especially if you focus on one type of degree (like "business" or computer science") with a niche market. Still an uphill road to climb...

Then just make HK a target market (with many Chinese-language interfaces in addition to English).

john_1122 likes this.

Hilarious! This should be a meme.

In order to maximize your scam, I suggest using a prestigious name with the word technology, such as Stanford Technology University or MIT Technology, as in Massachusetts Institute of Technology Technology.

Then hire cheap labor and buy them degrees from real prestigious universities. Kao San Road would be a good start:

If you are looking for Students then the Pro-Authoritarian parties are keen on them. Weren't Philip Wong's fake degrees were so blatant that Lego had to change the rules and Elizabeth Quat studied at the below prestigious university.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast