Moving to Hong Kong and starting a business

Closed Thread

Moving to Hong Kong and starting a business

Has anyone made such a transition here other than working for another company, and if so what type of business did you pursue, the obstacles you faced, the reality of day to day activities, practicalities, any pitfalls and assuming it's still active, how are things working out in the current economic downturn?

It's something I am seriously considering in the next few years once I have enough financial security to back my decision. Although timing isn't probably ideal, I'm seeing the current slump as an opportunity to invest in the financial markets next year for the medium term, then use any positive outcome to invest in property as a rental income to fund my business. I would probably look into design/marketing as my chosen business.

I will be eligible to work in Hong Kong. Would welcome any thoughts, ideas or stories that you may care to share.

Last edited by kenzokengo; 23-11-2008 at 09:28 AM.

Thumbs up

Hong Kong is still a great place to start a business.

Here is a blog that discusses the "three keys to success" in starting a business in Hong Kong/Asia.

http://blog.servcorp.com.hk

Many thanks for this, it's a start. I have actually worked in Japan in a taylored publishing house as a Creative Director for just over a year, and despite ending my contract earlier than planned, I learned a lot more about business in that time, than say the 5 years in my previous company. Having been exposed to doing business on an international level, it's seems the next logical step for me in my career.