Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Tips on dealing with bullies

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine
    Interesting. I have a similar issue with someone in our Singapore office who has approach me (joint owner) for help dealing with one of the other owners. It's really hard to know what to do. On the one hand, the other partner says this person is just no good at their job. On the other hand, the person says they are being bullied. We have no HR and are so small that this kind of clash is very hard to resolve - there is no "other department" to move anyone to. Can't fire a joint owner. So how can I make one of my peers behave better?
    Is this happened before? If not it could just be a personality clash and I would back your partner.

Interesting. I have a similar issue with someone in our Singapore office who has approach me (joint owner) for help dealing with one of the other owners. It's really hard to know what to do. On the one hand, the other partner says this person is just no good at their job. On the other hand, the person says they are being bullied. We have no HR and are so small that this kind of clash is very hard to resolve - there is no "other department" to move anyone to. Can't fire a joint owner. So how can I make one of my peers behave better?
    What do you think of your partner? Some people can't separate their own feelings and even the thought that someone is not as competent or knowledgable can affect how they talk to that person.

On the other hand, some people are not good are handling criticism, especially if too blunt and direct (sometimes cultural differences).

However, this is also about good man-management. You can't just shout and be angry with everyone and expect the same results. In the end, you have to talk with your partner about it because whether this worker is incompetent, or your partner's man-management skills are poor, then it affects you and your partner's company.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Remind each other why you are in this, that you are in it together and that you need to respect each others views. Usually conflict occurs with conflicting or overlapping responsibilities. You might have to be clear, telling the person that he can not talk to you in such a way and that he needs to respect you.

Been there, it's not fun. But respecting others and knowing your boundaries is key.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2